Laser Rangefinders

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by EX_STAB, Aug 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What models of laser rangefinder are currently on issue and are they any good? I'm thinking handheld for sniper use etc. rather than on a tank.

Was thinking of buying one for civvy shooting but there are a hell of a lot to choose from!
  2. I am in the process of doing exactly the same thing myself. I have been trawling the net for the last month or so and the only thing that i came up with is that everyone has their own favorite!
    I was looking for something that could range out to about 2000m and decided to ask about the Newcon 3000 pro. Although the optics are not the best I asked the UK agent for a price: In the states they cost about $1,600. I was quoted a price of £1.500. B**dy ripoff.

In the end I decided to opt for the Swaro laser guide which is rated to 1500m but according to some users will range out to 2000m given the right atmospheric conditions. Order goes in tomorrow.
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

If you go there on holiday buy one and bring it back as hand luggage. I have most of my optics that way. I do know a chap who imports laser rangefinders for the trade. I'll ask him what his top end models are!
    If you are on a range (as opposed to field firing) its not an issue as distances are known but they are handy when stalking at longer hillside type distances such as over 400 yards.
    Personally I try and get to withing point blank range which currently with my 6.5 is about 80 to 160 yards for a 4 inch circle.
  4. It's more for field work. I've got land I can get out to 800m on. If I want to do any meaningful ballistics tests I need a rangefinder. Like Mr. 338 I really want something that will range out to 2000m because the ranges quoted are invariably the best achievable off a reflective target rather than what you might expect to find in practice.

I shoot on other land from time to time in places where I could get out to well beyond 1300m so I would prefer one with some reach. I too favoured the Newcon 2000 Pro although if I could afford it the 2500CL would appeal because it has a data output port so I could do all sorts of fancy things with the computer.

Strangely, none of them seem to have more than 7x magnification which seems bizarre for an instrument designed for use at such ranges. I used a Leica once. It was very good but the 7x mag made it very difficult to use once you got out to 800m +
  5. just tried googling:

british army laser rangefinder

What's at the top of the list? This thread.... :x
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

That looks like the same kit that we had in 85 for the MFCs. Mind you I havent read through all of it yet!