Laser eye surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys, i'll keep this really short and sweet.

I'm a TA recruit, about to do my weekend 5 training this weekend. I'm short sighted ish. Never really felt the need to wear glas's but recently im feeling the need to.

So. Am i allowed to have laser eye surgery?
If I'm not and for some reason this will discovered by my units OC etc what would be the consequences?

cheers. :)

use the search function

and auldburd, shut the fuck up

jarrod248 said:
auldburd said:
they'll only know if you tell em!
No they'll know straight away when they examine the eyes - don't post what you don't know anything about.
Can a sticky about laser eye surgery be made as it comes up about twice a week?
the details about laser eye surgery are in JSP 346, which is a sticky

Then we'll need a sticky for acne, ingrowing toenails, terminal stupidity, dentistry and flatulence.... etc

theoriginalphantom said:
Then we'll need a sticky for acne, ingrowing toenails, terminal stupidity, dentistry and flatulence.... etc
However, none of that comes up twice a week, as does Laser Eye Surgery. ;)

SmithsRail said:
theoriginalphantom said:
and twice a week I say 'use the search function' sometimes I'm nice and point them in the right direction. Which reminds me I must fix the link in the hearing standards thread.

theoriginalphantom said:
jarrod248 said:
auldburd said:
they'll only know if you tell em!
No they'll know straight away when they examine the eyes - don't post what you don't know anything about.
Can a sticky about laser eye surgery be made as it comes up about twice a week?
the details about laser eye surgery are in JSP 346, which is a sticky
Cheers for telling me what sticky it's in. But it doesn't answer the question of whether I'm allowed any sort of laser eye surgery AFTER i've passed my medical and started my phase one training.

Edit for repeating myself

The army paid for my laser Eye surgery.

It was to remove a bit of shrapnel though.

Tiny , tiny bit of my tank.

Went in red hot and made me say "gosh that hurt can I go home now"?

from jsp's:
Refractive surgery: Radial Keratotomy (RK) and
Astigmatic Keratotomy (AK) remain an absolute bar to entry.
However, Photorefractive (Excimer) Keratectomy (PRK) or
Laser Epithelial Keratomileusis (LASEK) or Intrastromal corneal
rings (ICRs), otherwise known as Intrastromal Corneal
2 Recurrence is 10-30% after surgery, depending on type of surgery.
3 Dry, dusty, sunny environments predispose to pterygia.
JSP 346 Chapter 3, Leaflet 3-2: Eye diseases
Page 3 of 5 Amendment Date: A
Segments (ICSs), if meeting the specific requirements given
below at paragraphs 3.2.3 and 3.2.4, may be acceptable.

the_butler said:
The army paid for my laser Eye surgery.

It was to remove a bit of shrapnel though.

Tiny , tiny bit of my tank.
Fair play. But short of finishing all my training, going on tour and getting some shrapnel some place where I shouldn't would my Unit even care if i had it done?

No i don't think it matters anymore, when it first came out it was a problem because they obviously didnt know how long the surgery was effective for, but now they're satisfied that it's a long term solution they allow it. All of this i gather from the book "squaddie", that guy couldnt join as a teenager because of his eyesight, then he got laser eye surgery, blagged his way into the marines, but got binned after a few weeks when he had to have further tests done on his eyes, then something like 10 years later he joined the green jackets and they no longer cared about the surgery.

hope that helps.

theoriginalphantom said:
SmithsRail said:
theoriginalphantom said:
and twice a week I say 'use the search function' sometimes I'm nice and point them in the right direction. Which reminds me I must fix the link in the hearing standards thread.

As the old saying goes though, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it read the stickys"

8O

aj2307 said:
No i don't think it matters anymore, when it first came out it was a problem because they obviously didnt know how long the surgery was effective for, but now they're satisfied that it's a long term solution they allow it. All of this i gather from the book "squaddie", that guy couldnt join as a teenager because of his eyesight, then he got laser eye surgery, blagged his way into the marines, but got binned after a few weeks when he had to have further tests done on his eyes, then something like 10 years later he joined the green jackets and they no longer cared about the surgery.

hope that helps.
You are talking utter utter dribble, there are rules about different types of surgery some are allowed and some are not, those that are allowed have a set time during which you would have to be downgraded for. The chap in the book you've read (congratulations by the way) will have been outside the post surgery downgrade time and therefore allowed to join up.

By the tangled beard of Odin, when will the dribbling mongs leave serious threads alone?

In the book Squaddie, the author joined the RGJ after having laser eye surgery, but had previously experienced problems. He was medically discharged from the Marines when they found out, later laser eye surgery was deemed acceptable and he successfully joined.

no idea if that helps, but i'd say it'd be fine.

theoriginalphantom said:
[You are talking utter utter dribble, there are rules about different types of surgery some are allowed and some are not, those that are allowed have a set time during which you would have to be downgraded for. The chap in the book you've read (congratulations by the way) will have been outside the post surgery downgrade time and therefore allowed to join up.

By the tangled beard of Odin, when will the dribbling mongs leave serious threads alone?

Yes, I'm seeing your point. At least they quote their source so we can judge it on its merits (or lack of).

I had LASEK before joining - I had to wait 12 months post-op before passing a CAAMB assessment with a Forces ophthalmologist who gave me the go-ahead to continue.

Its a long time to wait, but its your EYESIGHT! And I don't regret having it done.

Had it done at Moorfields Eye Hospital - best place to have it done in the UK. But probably the most expensive too. Still, its your eyes...probably worth shelling out a bit extra for it.

I had laser eye treatment whilst i was serving in the TA about 2001. When i went on a regimental training weekend shortly after people including the RSM were asking me about it. I was not down graded or anything i just carried on as before apart from looking like a nob for wearing safety specs all the time after the op for approximately 4/5 weeks. So i would wait until you've completed your recruit training and you are in your unit then just do it they won't kick you out if you don't go in for a month or so they will probably not even know.I was mobilised in 2003 and no one said anything in my medical at chilwell.Hope this is of help

Status
Not open for further replies.