laser eye surgery?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by milkmclane, Jan 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i am looking into joining the infantry, but i am shortsighted, i wear contact lenses, and have glasses. i just wanted to hear peoples opinions on wether or not laser eye surgery is worth it, as ive heard that cotact lenses arent practical and by the sound of it glasses arent either. also i know about the year defferal, and the fact that the surgery has to of gone perfectly, otherwise you arent alowed in, and if i didnt want to join the army i wouldnt be getting surgery at a young age.

so is it worth the risk?

2. My dear old mother-in-law works in a hospital that carries out laser eye procedures. She says that all the doctors that perform the surgery wear glasses. Doesn't really help you ... but just a thought.

3. Interesting point! :omg:

4. I was in a similar position to you mate. Im 16 and have applied to join the infantry, did my BARB test nearly a week ago now. I wear contacts full time apart from on evenings when i pop my glasses on. Personally I couldn't wait two years at least to get laser eye surgery done and then an additional year whilst my eyes fully recovered. I, like you, was concerned especially about joining the infantry with glasses/lenses, but there will be many people in the same boat. My mate is three weeks through basic and he said that quite a few of the lads in his room wear contacts. I'm also not too comfortable wearing glasses, but it's a small sacrifice to make to do the job that you dream of doing. Also none of the staff at my recruiting office have mentioned there being any problem with me wearing lenses/glasses in the infantry so it's probably a case they come upon all the time.

Hope this helps.

5. I had eye surgery in August last year and it went well, wish I'd not put it off for so long.
    In my circumstance, I didn't go 100%, i'm -0.25 in each eye now rather than the -0.625 I was, but there are possible reasons for that and my eyes are improving. Your best bet would be to go for a free check up at a few eye surgery places and get their opinions.
    Is there a minimum prescription required for joining up?

6. There are no long term studies looking at post op laser surgery so what happens after 20 years or so is not known. This might not seem important to you right now but those studies wont be far off now and it would be good to know that you wont have any severe adverse effects a few years down the line.
    The other drawback with LES is that it wont stop you needing reading glasses later in life.
    I have considered LES from time to time but have always stalled because of the lack of long term prognosis. It's up to you what you do but there are many infanteers who wear corrective lenses of one sort or another, you certainly don't need LES to join the infantry. I went through my career with spectacles and contacts and never found any bother.

7. thanks for all your responses, im still not sure but cheers anyway.

8. Corrective surgery started in the 80s so long term studies are kicking in.
    Of course surgery won't stop your eyes deteriorating in later life-it's called age.

What it might do is give you 15-20 years without glasses, maybe more.

I had it done late and have enjoyed 6 yrs without lenses.

I'm 42.