Laser eye surgery and deployment

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by NioSid, Sep 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

I'm in the infantry and in the last to years seen my eye sight get worse. I'm struggling with long distances and im -1.25 in both eyes. I have been wearing daily lenses and sometimes extended wear for a month which are just too unhygenic. It looks like i'm deploying to afghan in 2012 and I want to be able to see without glasses and I just do not want the hassle of changing lenses everyday as more than likely it wont be feasible. Its really getting me down not being able to see as I use to have 20/20 vision. I was thinking about laser eye surgery and have read alot of the threads, however would like to know if there is a period of time that the army wont let me deploy after having the surgery. Any advice or information would be very helpful.

Thanks

2. I'm not currently in the Military myself, nor was in in when I had my Laser surgery so take what I say with a pinch of salt.

First I would get all the information from a medical officer since they're ultimately the ones signing you off as fit. I could say anything here and it means nothing.

I had my Laser eye surgery in July (wavefront Intra Lasik) and it has been fantastic. My eyes were -3.50 in each eye, so quite a bit worse than yours. My vision now is perfect, every line on the chart and more.

As far as applying to the military goes, the policy is that you need to wait a year after the procedure to access the success of the operation. When you're in it could be a different policy.

I think that if you want to get it done, the further away from your deployment the better. You may even be downgraded to a desk job for a period of the recovery. All things to consider...

Good luck if you decide to go ahead with it.

Edd

3. I had my laser surgery (wavefront lasek) done in 2006 whilst still serving, my prescription before the op was -5.50 in both eyes, with astigmatism. Having it done was probably one of the best decisions I've made. The freedom from glasses and the contact lense ****-about factor made it well worth the cost. I can't give you any information regarding army policy, but as Edd says, see your MO. He'll be the one able to give you chapter and verse.

4. Edd - check pm

5. Isn't it a medical downgrading for 12 months?