Larkhill Day 1965, newsreel.

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by almerkerkey, Jan 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Some fascinating stuff in this archive, thought some might appreciate this. Includes live firing of an Honest John and some decidedly dodgy heli-insertion drills. British Pathe

2. Very cool, didn't realise that the pedigree of Artillery U.A.V's went back so far.
    The scout insertion looked good fun, I wonder if the AAC would let me try it off the skid of Lynx.

3. Oh yes I remember it well, first time I did Larkhill fire power was in 67, thought it was brilliant

4. Quality newsreel, very enjoyable!

5. Nice memory - I was there, happy days, best posting ever.

The UAV was the old drone, it had been around for several years by then.

6. '66 was my first Larkhill Day, I was still in basic, they shipped a couple of coachloads of us down from Oswestry. It just so happened that it coincided with the World cup final so for most of us the afternoon was spent in the coaches with the radio on.

7. My first was 1968.. they were still doing the glider demo.. the pilot did a low pass at full chat across the face of the crowd.. very impressive.

8. Kit then was so much more impressive then, probably because it was substantial and BIG. Yes I know that the stuff now is probably more efficient and packs more of a punch, but don't tell me that it's in any way butch.

They've definitely feminised kit.

• Like Like x 1