Lariam: Mental illness of British soldiers after being given anti-malaria drug

EAGLE1

Old-Salt
Kronenbourg 1664, Desperado with tequila 65cl. Drunk through a straw.....awesome.
Major General Alastair Duncan, Commanded British Forces in the shit storm formerly known as Bosnia....
Any ******** who had his testicles tied tight behind him to prevent him getting into the fight, will suffer deep sense of helplessness.
There.....that very sense of helplessness WILL punch a hole through the fighters armour......leading to Post Traumatic Stress Reaction. Resolving this condition is simple but not easy. The very nature of the Soldier is 'FIGHT' yet this condition will only ease when the adrenalin system is given a break, 'accepting the traumatic reaction floating on' allowing time to gently pass...there is the key to peace...the opposite of the radged angry warrior.....a path of calm acceptance.
General Dannatt feels the need to say sorry....WTF for, he never devised the medication, he was not the scientist who created the medication, these hero's take on too much responsibility for shit storms way above their comprehension ..bless em.
Ptsd is a separate entity that requires understanding of the 'long process' to the PTSD condition. Whether a drug should take the blame from induced trauma....I really doubt it...I wonder how many lives the malaria drug saved...any how...Kronenbourg on ice is awaiting..

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Kronenbourg 1664, Desperado with tequila 65cl. Drunk through a straw.....awesome.
Major General Alastair Duncan, Commanded British Forces in the shit storm formerly known as Bosnia....
Any ******** who had his testicles tied tight behind him to prevent him getting into the fight, will suffer deep sense of helplessness.
There.....that very sense of helplessness WILL punch a hole through the fighters armour......leading to Post Traumatic Stress Reaction. Resolving this condition is simple but not easy. The very nature of the Soldier is 'FIGHT' yet this condition will only ease when the adrenalin system is given a break, 'accepting the traumatic reaction floating on' allowing time to gently pass...there is the key to peace...the opposite of the radged angry warrior.....a path of calm acceptance.
General Dannatt feels the need to say sorry....WTF for, he never devised the medication, he was not the scientist who created the medication, these hero's take on too much responsibility for shit storms way above their comprehension ..bless em.
Ptsd is a separate entity that requires understanding of the 'long process' to the PTSD condition. Whether a drug should take the blame from induced trauma....I really doubt it...I wonder how many lives the malaria drug saved...any how...Kronenbourg on ice is awaiting..
I was one of ADA's Coy Comds in Bos and attended his funeral last Thursday. You can rest assured there was no sense of helplessness on that tour (though a fair whack of frustration at the conflict between the mandate and the obvious need), so I'd be grateful if you'd not involve him in your crusade.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I had a very nasty adverse reaction to Larium in Angola back in the late 90's. Taking into account what happened to me a few years later, I can well believe that Larium may "unlock" a pre existing condition in some individuals.
I've heard precisely that at rather high levels in the system.

kiterunner

Old-Salt
I've been hearing on the radio all day that the MOD hasn't issued Larium without a risk assessment since 2013.

That's total bollocks as I along with the rest of my Bn had boxes of the stuff thrown at us during our pre deployment administration check in May 2015.
Johnny Mercer, the MP for Plymouth (West, I think) would really like to hear that. Johnny@johnnyforplymouth.co.uk. I'll leave it up to you, @spaz but you'd be doing us all a massive favour if you told him.

kiterunner

Old-Salt
Do you mean the current incumbent, or the last?
The current one, Walker, told the DSC in his evidence to the Lariam enquiry, that each face to face consultation would take 20 minutes. He didn't really do the sums. As to "utterly useless and mendacious", I'd say those words applied to SGs from Lillywhite onwards. Possibly before, too, but that's not my area of interest.

Had mentioned previously. that, obliged to take extra strong Vit B tablets for nerve damage, I was advised some years ago by a malarial researcher in Kenya, to take my daily dose in the evenings as the smell in the blood is apparently unappetising to the female Anophelese who come out at night to feed.

I found this interesting.
MALARIA BREAKTHROUGH: Scientists say changing a human's 'flavour' could save millions

I presently do not take any prophylactics but do have a diagnostic kit, mine is a CareStart RDT by Access Bio ACCESSBIO
and carry Artamisinin.

Last edited:

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Had mentioned previously. that, obliged to take extra strong Vit B tablets for nerve damage, I was advised some years ago by a malarial researcher in Kenya, to take my daily dose in the evenings as the smell in the blood is apparently unappetising to the female Anophelese who come out at night to feed.

I found this interesting.
MALARIA BREAKTHROUGH: Scientists say changing a human's 'flavour' could save millions
I tried Vitamin B, supposed to stop them biting and it's also why Marmite is suggested but didn't stop me getting bit.
Vitamin B Co. strong also should be taken by heavy drinkers as they become deficient.

I tried Vitamin B, supposed to stop them biting and it's also why Marmite is suggested but didn't stop me getting bit.
Vitamin B Co. strong also should be taken by heavy drinkers as they become deficient.
Some people just seen to attract them, I wonder if they smell/sense something that causes that occurrence?

I know how she felt. Why this drug has not been taken from the shelves and burned is beyond me.
I read a very brief report on this incident in an evening paper en route from work tonight. It wasn't as detailed as you've added, which clears up some thoughts. Thanks for the attachment.

kiterunner

Old-Salt

I know how she felt. Why this drug has not been taken from the shelves and burned is beyond me.
Yep. Have a look at this 2014 EMA/PRAC report on Lariam. Amazing that the drug wasn't pulled then, and that at least two surgeon-generals and several other big names lied (by omission) about the report's existence.

Attachments

Still got what I was issued in 2013, with the dated dispensing label. Fairly sure by then the side effects were well known.