Lariam: Mental illness of British soldiers after being given anti-malaria drug

How has it affected you? Do you have issues or have you got a bit of backbone and appetite for life?
Didn't affect me at all. But the medic in Afghanistan went white when I went for a replen!!

Officers don't need Larium, they drink G&Ts.

spaz

LE
I know of someone who was prescribed and issued Larium in late 2013 despite having a history of clinical depression recorded on his med notes. In my non medical opinion there appears to have been a somewhat cavalier attitude to the dispensing of this particular drug.
I've been hearing on the radio all day that the MOD hasn't issued Larium without a risk assessment since 2013.

That's total bollocks as I along with the rest of my Bn had boxes of the stuff thrown at us during our pre deployment administration check in May 2015.

I've been hearing on the radio all day that the MOD hasn't issued Larium without a risk assessment since 2013.

That's total bollocks as I along with the rest of my Bn had boxes of the stuff thrown at us during our pre deployment administration check in May 2015.
Maybe they did a risk assessment. And where were you going in May 2015?

Yeah the RAMC medic who handed me some boxes as I passed him in the corridor of BHQ, risk assessed the shit out of it.
You realise they do RAs before, not during. And where were you going?

spaz

LE
You realise they do RAs before, not during. And where were you going?
Do they?

It's funny that because in the last month I've sat down with the MO who carried out an RA whilst I was sat in front of him. He asked me a series of questions regarding my health and then explained the possible side effects of the anti malarials he was about to prescribe to me.

Whilst 12 months ago a different med centre was dishing them out like an American teenager delivering newspapers.

Do they?

It's funny that because in the last month I've sat down with the MO who carried out an RA whilst I was sat in front of him. He asked me a series of questions regarding my health and then explained the possible side effects of the anti malarials he was about to prescribe to me.

Whilst 12 months ago a different med centre was dishing them out like an American teenager delivering newspapers.
Hackle has explained the procedure, something you failed to do originally.

spaz

LE
Hackle has explained the procedure, something you failed to do originally.
I didn't fail to explain the procedure, I just stated that it didn't take place, you're the one who made the assumption that the RA involved someone going:

"Shall we dish these pills out then?"

"Yeah, sod it."

Looking back in this thread, Gen Dannatt called for Lariam to be banned in 2013.
Given the conventional scaling of any risk assessment, I find it hard to accept that the use of Lariam can be justified unless the individual has proven resistance to its side-effects. I've had malaria a couple of times, and been subject to the grisly effects of both the parasite and the quinine (and the bloody bush 'doctors'), and both were arguably as vile as the supposed preventative. Given also that I recovered from the disease in relatively quick time, my risk matrix would include, up there at the top-right corner, the possibility of lifelong impairment, and a researched assessment of the possibility of either suicide or early death due to associated factors. My conclusion would be: fire it down the lavatory pan.

Edit: WHO's opinion is that "Malaria is an entirely preventable and treatable disease." Hollow laughter, Bruce.

Last edited: