Large Welly Boots & Spurs

That's HCR you're talking about but they're not called welly boots. Real Wellington boots are only up to calf length and are worn by cavalry, artillery and some corps. A smaller ankle boot is preferable, it's called a George Boot.

GDav said:
That's HCR you're talking about but they're not called welly boots. Real Wellington boots are only up to calf length and are worn by cavalry, artillery and some corps. A smaller ankle boot is preferable, it's called a George Boot.
Boots, George, Ankle

God I'm filling up with emotion. You could buy them from Moss Bross and other associated thieving Regimental Tailors but the clever trick (Unofficer-like behaviour) was to get somebody at Sandbags to go diffy and then pay them for said Boots.

P1954?

I got them issued. I'm actually looking at the box they came in - I keep old photos in it.

CD 8430-99-975-2646 BOOTS ANKLE OFFICERS (GEORGE)
Contractors name: Sanders & Sanders Limited.

GDav said:
I got them issued. I'm actually looking at the box they came in - I keep old photos in it.

GDAV i thought you were a tankie [33a] not a bands man :thumright:

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
Bringing up the issue of Spurs, there has been a new video release from OBL to prove he is still alive. Apparently he is seen discussing yesterdays football, saying that Tottenham have again lost a match.

However the security services have discounted the video saying it could have been made anytime during the last 25 years...

GDav said:

I bought a pair from the QM - they are not as good quality as the Moss Bros ones I bought years ago - I had to have them stripped and reassembled by a cobbler because the uppers were coming away from the welts. They appeared to be held together with staples.

I never bothered with Wellingtons, but I know the LI used to wear them. Also, a lot of RN Observers I knew wore them with blue every day, but I think they had them made cheap by the HK tailors on the big ship.

You need to specify whether you want boxes for spurs when you buy them.

We used to wear Mess Wellingtons. Spurs were worn by the Adjutant and all those of Field Rank - I assume (and rather hope) that nothing's changed there. George Boots were only worn with Blues, or by members of the Sergeants' Mess with their mess dress.

However smart they were, they were an complete pain if one 'got lucky' or got so pissed one couldn't get them off single handed - I remain convinced to this day that the reason officers marry is to have someone on the end of the bed to help pull the bloody things off! Many happy memories of hopping around on two legs, ankles held tightly together by mess overalls, trying to administer a dose of people-paste to a (usually) willing recipient with her arse in the air or somesuch, unable as I was, to extract feet from boots!

Queensman said:
We used to wear Mess Wellingtons. Spurs were worn by the Adjutant and all those of Field Rank - I assume (and rather hope) that nothing's changed there. George Boots were only worn with Blues, or by members of the Sergeants' Mess with their mess dress.

However smart they were, they were an complete pain if one 'got lucky' or got so pissed one couldn't get them off single handed - I remain convinced to this day that the reason officers marry is to have someone on the end of the bed to help pull the bloody things off! Many happy memories of hopping around on two legs, ankles held tightly together by mess overalls, trying to administer a dose of people-paste to a (usually) willing recipient with her arse in the air or somesuch, unable as I was, to extract feet from boots!
I dressed on of my ex-girlies in my Blues Jacket, French Webbing (night fighting syle - black camo string!) and my Mess Wellies/Spurs. :thumright: It wouldn't have been the same with George Boots now would it?

Oh Happy Days

Nehustan said:
Bringing up the issue of Spurs, there has been a new video release from OBL to prove he is still alive. Apparently he is seen discussing yesterdays football, saying that Tottenham have again lost a match.

However the security services have discounted the video saying it could have been made anytime during the last 25 years...

Funny.

But sadly true :cry:

Depressed of WHL

compus_mentus said:
ArmyYid said:
Funny.

But sadly true :cry:

Depressed of WHL
Stick it out big guy - if you can stay up, you could be playing the Rams next season...... :rofl:
CM

Somehow I expected a comment from you. I presume that is a very large COULD for Rams promotion potential.

AY

rickshaw-major said:
I dressed on of my ex-girlies in my Blues Jacket, French Webbing (night fighting syle - black camo string!) and my Mess Wellies/Spurs. :thumright: It wouldn't have been the same with George Boots now would it?

Oh Happy Days
Always a winner! I was once priveleged to spend sometime hiding in a Wardrobe Young Officers in a bedroom in Mooltan Barracks Officers' Messwith another close chum (very close as you can imagine, as they weren't that large), whilst a third of our number performed various rather amusing sex acts on his extremely comely bird, having dressed her in his mess kit jacket, No1 Dress hat and wellingtons. All was going well until (a bit like that scene in '4 weddings etc') my chum fell out off the wardrobe and put No3 off his stroke! No2 was biting a mess welly at the time in a drunken attempt to stem his mirth. I then got out, adjusted my dress, bade the startled couple a good evening and nonchalantly retired from the room. Once again, all was well, until the young lady, who'd formerly been attired in mess kit, now reunited with her ballgown, strode into the Anteroom and hit me across the head with a large plate of chocolate cake. I then had a few uncomfortable minutes trying to explain to my wife, who was sitting next to me, why, exactly, a hither to unknown sex-goddess had so taken agin me! Happy Days......

Queensman said:
rickshaw-major said:

Oh Happy Days
Always a winner! I was once priveleged to spend sometime hiding in a Wardrobe Young Officers in a bedroom in Mooltan Barracks Officers' Messwith another close chum (very close as you can imagine, as they weren't that large), whilst a third of our number performed various rather amusing sex acts on his extremely comely bird, having dressed her in his mess kit jacket, No1 Dress hat and wellingtons. All was going well until (a bit like that scene in '4 weddings etc') my chum fell out off the wardrobe and put No3 off his stroke! No2 was biting a mess welly at the time in a drunken attempt to stem his mirth. I then got out, adjusted my dress, bade the startled couple a good evening and nonchalantly retired from the room. Once again, all was well, until the young lady, who'd formerly been attired in mess kit, now reunited with her ballgown, strode into the Anteroom and hit me across the head with a large plate of chocolate cake. I then had a few uncomfortable minutes trying to explain to my wife, who was sitting next to me, why, exactly, a hither to unknown sex-goddess had so taken agin me! Happy Days......
:thumright: :brilsmurf:

I had a colleague who was on for his hatrick of Black Watch sisters on the CO's desk whilst (he was) wearing mess wellies. Sadly he never got number three. Certainly would have been something to further the always close relationship between the Highlanders and decent god fearing lowlanders.

Wellies were stupid, you had to put the mess kit trews on the boots before you got into either. It made disrobing difficult when sober and almost impossible when pissed.

Triple_A said:
I had a colleague who was on for his hatrick of Black Watch sisters on the CO's desk whilst (he was) wearing mess wellies. Sadly he never got number three. Certainly would have been something to further the always close relationship between the Highlanders and decent god fearing lowlanders.

Wellies were stupid, you had to put the mess kit trews on the boots before you got into either. It made disrobing difficult when sober and almost impossible when pissed.
1. I agree they were stupid but the girlies liked them :thumright:

2. You ruined the story when you revealed it was Trews. For one delightful moment I could just see him in a Kilt - I could also see the CO's and Adjt face!!!!!!!! :headbang:

Vasco said:
I never bothered with Wellingtons, but I know the LI used to wear them. Also, a lot of RN Observers I knew wore them with blue every day, but I think they had them made cheap by the HK tailors on the big ship.
Half wellingtons were the correct footwear for ceremonial and mess uniforms for RN officers until around WWII. Some people still wear them in no. 5 uniform and mess dress, but with the return of HK, we no longer have Chinese so-soes, shu-shus or dhobymen on our ships, and half wellingtons have gone the way of stiff collars with mess dress.