Large EOD find

Theres the possibility that he had a knackered mag with misaligned feed lips, might even have had dud ammo. Shit happens. It's not like he could test fire it before going out to knock off Heydrich. It's not a weapon you can have the first round up the spout ready to go either. Something else is that if the mag is not a good one, does holding it while firing contribute to jams ?
I read somewhere a piece by an armourer who worked on STENs that they used to strip all the new mags, clean, debur them, gauge the feed lips angle and test fire every one, those that failed were crushed and sent back as scrap. His opinion was that the STEN was very reliable with good mags.

A very bad shot or someone who has never fired one?
He may well have fired a shot of some description but he has never served as far as I am aware in any of the armed forces or law enforcement agencies in the UK. He has a reputation for being just a little bit of a know it all, to use an old fashioned phrase.

BopBopBop

War Hero
He may well have fired a shot of some description but he has never served as far as I am aware in any of the armed forces or law enforcement agencies in the UK. He has a reputation for being just a little bit of a know it all, to use an old fashioned phrase.
Just shots with a camera?

I loved my SMG's!

When I did basic, I had to qualify on the SMG and THAT rifle.
Did we ever have a proper magazine pouch for the SMG in part 58 webbing ,?

ugly

LE
No the Aussies had a curved multi mag pouch for the F1 and one or two appeared over here courtesy of long look etc!

I read somewhere a piece by an armourer who worked on STENs that they used to strip all the new mags, clean, debur them, gauge the feed lips angle and test fire every one, those that failed were crushed and sent back as scrap. His opinion was that the STEN was very reliable with good mags.
That's what happens to all magazines when they are returned to depot today, even the training magazines.

That's a lot of hard work.
I'm of the same opinion, that given a good mag and decent ammo, a serviceable sten would have left Heydrich resembling a Swiss cheese.
Therefore the weapon/magazine/ammo can only have failed due to damage or drills not being followed. Mind you, ain't that easy to say sitting at home in me comfy chair.
Brave blokes those Czechs .

Nato123

On ROPS
On ROPs
Taking the stock off a STEN wouldn't get you a first round stoppage , it has a spring retaining cup with a rotating bayonet fitting that does what its name says, so it can be stored without the stock without the guts falling out, there are only two sheet metal tabs holding the guts in and the tail of the bolt does impact the rear cup / stock attachment plate on firing, so the only problem would occur after the first round fired and or if the cup gave way.

I read that was exactly was exactly happened , 1 round off then feck all .. the IA was to hoof a grenade

some of the sub contractor mags were very poor. But that’s literally garden sheds with a fly press mass production for you.

Reliability of the the STEN? The French resistance were very enamoured of them Fir shooting at Germans. No records of wireless messages to Londres saying please don’t send any more, they jam.

Last edited:
The number of STEN mags made during the war is incredible , 34 million.

And peak production in 1943 was 47,000 STENS a week .

In total 3,750,000 were made.

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
A very bad shot or someone who has never fired one?
Answer C.

The shots he's expert in are received, of the money kind and generally across his grid.

I'm of the same opinion, that given a good mag and decent ammo, a serviceable sten would have left Heydrich resembling a Swiss cheese.
Therefore the weapon/magazine/ammo can only have failed due to damage or drills not being followed. Mind you, ain't that easy to say sitting at home in me comfy chair.
The weapon was stripped, in order to fit into a briefcase for sensible appearances’ sake. The briefcase was further stuffed with grass so the carrier could reasonably look like other Czechs in Prague who often foraged grass etc for food.

Assembling such a weapon in such circumstances and hoping it would function was always a long shot in hindsight. Stepping in front of the motor on a hairpin bend guaranteed it would halt and the grenade was a sensible and essential back up.

I’ve been there, and to the crypt. Very moving - brave men.

Unremarkable

War Hero
One of my residents, who left the Army in the late 1960s, tells me that he looked forward to range days. The SMG was his weapon of choice, and he found it accurate enough.
The Sten; ah, the Sten... My father related how, when he was introduced to it during the war, he was stood before a row of targets and did what he (courtesy of Hollywood) thought appropriate. Thus he hit every target - except his own! Two weeks in the Guardhouse followed.

Nato123

On ROPS
On ROPs

Yep, double cell was the most common ...usually toted by Monkeys

Last edited:

NSP

LE
so do you just blow them in situe then?
We just dig them up and ID them as ordnance or trash. Cable-bothering trash we relocate. Bangy stuff we leave for the Cloggy navy to wrap lovingly in PE and press the tit on.

Mind you, there was one they decided to pick up and move further out as it was a bit close to the channel into the Maas. They did this by cradling it in strops, lifting it to mid-water and then carefully moving along with it on tow sub-surface. When they got to the chosen detonation location they lowered it to seabed, the divers went down to place the charges and..................called up to surface with the Dutch for "Er, where the eff is it...?"

They found it eventually, halfway back to where they'd started from.

Last edited:
Instead of which he had to die slowly and in great pain. Oh dear, how sad etc.