Large EOD find

HE117

LE
Oz Army still used Owen in Nam, used by British Army on limited issue (for 'them') Malaya to mid 1950's when Stirling came along.
.. that would correlate with places I have obtained them from!

"they don't like it up 'em"?

You do have to wonder at the Admiralty thought process though

'We'll issue the chaps a compact sub machine gun for boarding operations'

'Well done Sir, an ideal weapon, short, compact, chaps will be delighted!'

'We'd better issue a bayonet too'

'indeed Sir, the short little No7?'

'Best make it the 18" 1907 one'

Caltrops, been around since ancient times, still effective. Originally used to stop/slow down/injure men and horses, now of course very effective against tyres.
In the case of men, they have long been superceded by lego bricks.

Crumbs they have

Edit decent replica is about 350, probably the way to go.
Get an gasblow back Airsoft one. Only cost you about 100 and you can plink in the back garden.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Get an gasblow back Airsoft one. Only cost you about 100 and you can plink in the back garden.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Funnily enough I was looking at those and if they'd come with the wooden (or decently done plastic) holster, may well have ponied up for one.

Bodenplatte

Old-Salt
One event isn't evidence, no one even knows why it jammed, could have been operator error ?
It had a reputation for jamming - maybe anecdotal.
Could have been operator error in the Heydrich case, I suppose. Nerves on the part of the shooter - did he carry it with the magazine separate to aid in concealment ? Then fail to insert the mag fully in that moment of terror when he stepped into the road in front of the car ?
We'll never know.

Famously - Op ANTHROPOID.
I don't know about unreliable in that instance but it has been recorded that the Czech guy using it had modified the Sten to shorten it.
Iffy modification to the rear baseplate has been mentioned.
In any case, not the stock article but a modified one.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
No these are ones that submerged or maybe degraded and spilled their contents. They are a major hazard if you’re building offshore structures or laying cables. Some very large German ones made of aluminium which can be a bugger to find if submerged.
Aluminium?

sounds a bit bonkers I thought they needed it all for airframes and mess tins.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer

Mufulira

Old-Salt
Makes them very hard to detect so a very potent weapon.
My colleagues in the "Erl" business (90's) amid the sandy wastes of Libya told of numerous WWII mines still apparent about the dunes and that the worst to encounter were the French made units as they had an outer case made of Aluminium and thus in good operating nick even after all those years and just didn't rust way like those cheap British steel-cased ones!

One event isn't evidence, no one even knows why it jammed, could have been operator error ?
the STEN was considered perfectly fit for service. Once the war was out Of the way, the Army ran a Trial o’ truth with some new SMG contenders to replace the STEN. The verdict? Yes, the Patchett that had been in limited service since 1944 was better, but not so stellarly so it warranted the prompt dumping of the STEN for it.

Most fail to feeds with a STEN were down to, misaligned mag lips, there was a gauge to check them, loading the full 30 rounds into the magazine, this put the spring under very high tension (Hence the loading tool) and in a less than good magazine, the stack stuck and .... click, fuggit! 28 and you were fine. And last but not least, despite the instruction manuals and instructors telling people endlessly, don’t hold it by the magazine, They did, And it could pull the magazine out of alignment and yet again..... click! Fuggit!

the MP40 with exactly the same single stack magazine design had exactly the same issues with fail to feeds - but as it’s German, no one mentions that it was less than perfect too.

Last edited:

Latest Threads