Large EOD find

Hajjah, Yemen Yemeni and Sudanese soldiers prepare landmines and other explosives for destruction Photograph: Xinhua/Rex

EtfczqJXEAQeRUU.jpg

Not unusual that. We used to do it in Iraq. 50 tonne blows. Build a square wall with wooden crates of MK7 mines, put whatever you are disposing of in the middle. Position more crates of mk7 mines over the top, retire 2km, press the tit and the jobs a good un.

HE117

LE
Not unusual that. We used to do it in Iraq. 50 tonne blows. Build a square wall with wooden crates of MK7 mines, put whatever you are disposing of in the middle. Position more crates of mk7 mines over the top, retire 2km, press the tit and the jobs a good un.
.... as illustrated in my Avatar!

HE117

LE
Followed by three weeks of outside areas to find all the kick-outs...
... only from Sapper blows!

There is a bit of loose stuff on the top of the stack, but the layer of mines should make sure everything go down and not up. The fact that they are in a pit is excellent as this will catch any side throw..

I remember overhearing an NCO briefing a one pip BDO that "what you needed to do with a disposal blow was to get the stuff in the air and spread it about a bit...!"

We had a little chat later about "blowing down" and "points of initiation on the stack" as well as where and when to use and not use a ring main!

I had a delegation come to visit me in Shaiba wanting permission to dispose of a bunker just off the perimeter of the camp that someone thought could be used to attack us from.. The camp comedian insisted that it got SATO approval as it was near the ASP.

I asked the pair (RE Lt and his carer) what they proposed to do, and an outline of their demolition plan. "Oh stuff it full of bang and initiate with a ring main using the P principle" quoth our hero..! "Ah well, in that case no!" was my reply and our lad left with his tail between his legs. I sent the SAT after them to proffer words of advice, and that I wanted some evidence of planned building collapse with partial demolition of the walls and the collapse of the roof (this was a reinforced bunker after all, and had probably been built by a western contractor! I did not want a 300 ton+ structure propelled into low earth orbit in a single entity.. )

He returned and told me he had found them outside the HQ, the YO having a new one being ripped from him by his minder.. They came back later with a proper dem plan designed to collapse the walls and with earthwork to capture any throw out.. It went well and no windows were broken!

Decent sized one just been uncovered in Exeter. Chances are it's one of Grandad Schicklegruber's. Navy are dealing with it. Presumably after they've sobered up and stopped shagging each other.

EvN73HyXEAEpth3.jpeg

Decent sized one just been uncovered in Exeter. Chances are it's one of Grandad Schicklegruber's. Navy are dealing with it. Presumably after they've sobered up and stopped shagging each other.

View attachment 552883

Looks like they're taking no chances.

'Thousands of residents in Exeter have been evacuated from their homes as authorities attend to a possible unexploded Second World War device, police said.

'Devon and Cornwall Police confirmed a 400-metre cordon was in place, with 2,600 properties evacuated for the examination of the device, which was found on Glenthorne Road on Friday morning. The device was found on a building site on private land to the west of the University of Exeter campus.

'An initial 100-metre cordon was put in place, with evacuations taking place on Friday evening and Saturday morning. The evacuations were at the request of the Royal Navy bomb disposal team, who worked through the night to establish a walled mitigation structure.

'A police spokesman said: “The examination and detonation of the device has been passed to the Army. Examination of the device is due to commence at 10am and could take several hours.” It is hoped the work will be completed by the end of Saturday.'

Looks like they're taking no chances.

'Thousands of residents in Exeter have been evacuated from their homes as authorities attend to a possible unexploded Second World War device, police said.

'Devon and Cornwall Police confirmed a 400-metre cordon was in place, with 2,600 properties evacuated for the examination of the device, which was found on Glenthorne Road on Friday morning. The device was found on a building site on private land to the west of the University of Exeter campus.

'An initial 100-metre cordon was put in place, with evacuations taking place on Friday evening and Saturday morning. The evacuations were at the request of the Royal Navy bomb disposal team, who worked through the night to establish a walled mitigation structure.

'A police spokesman said: “The examination and detonation of the device has been passed to the Army. Examination of the device is due to commence at 10am and could take several hours.” It is hoped the work will be completed by the end of Saturday.'

Off topic. This article inadvertently highlights why we have such a problem with covid
A 400 metre cordon contains 2600 properties. That population density is never going to make dealing with covid easy

It’s difficult to tell from the photo, but if I really had to take a guess then id say a German SC 250 or 500. Diameter will tell better (foot - 250, foot ’n a ‘alf - 500, 2fer - 1000)

Of course once the job had been completed it would be declared as a 6in Naval shell.

Check_0ne_Two

Old-Salt
It’s difficult to tell from the photo, but if I really had to take a guess then id say a German SC 250 or 500. Diameter will tell better (foot - 250, foot ’n a ‘alf - 500, 2fer - 1000)

Of course once the job had been completed it would be declared as a 6in Naval shell.

Shared by a mate this am. He spent the night enforcing the cordon. Uni halls 300yds away from site. 5 students ignored evacuation order and were found in halls overnight.

JFRbPuc.jpg

... only from Sapper blows!

There is a bit of loose stuff on the top of the stack, but the layer of mines should make sure everything go down and not up. The fact that they are in a pit is excellent as this will catch any side throw..

I remember overhearing an NCO briefing a one pip BDO that "what you needed to do with a disposal blow was to get the stuff in the air and spread it about a bit...!"

We had a little chat later about "blowing down" and "points of initiation on the stack" as well as where and when to use and not use a ring main!

I had a delegation come to visit me in Shaiba wanting permission to dispose of a bunker just off the perimeter of the camp that someone thought could be used to attack us from.. The camp comedian insisted that it got SATO approval as it was near the ASP.

I asked the pair (RE Lt and his carer) what they proposed to do, and an outline of their demolition plan. "Oh stuff it full of bang and initiate with a ring main using the P principle" quoth our hero..! "Ah well, in that case no!" was my reply and our lad left with his tail between his legs. I sent the SAT after them to proffer words of advice, and that I wanted some evidence of planned building collapse with partial demolition of the walls and the collapse of the roof (this was a reinforced bunker after all, and had probably been built by a western contractor! I did not want a 300 ton+ structure propelled into low earth orbit in a single entity.. )

He returned and told me he had found them outside the HQ, the YO having a new one being ripped from him by his minder.. They came back later with a proper dem plan designed to collapse the walls and with earthwork to capture any throw out.. It went well and no windows were broken!
Sounds like the engineers that blew the ammo dumps at Khamisyah in 1991 - we were admiring the huge plumes of smoke when all of a sudden unfuzed 122mm shells started landing in our position. Great fun was had by all, surpassed only by our letters from the DOD informing us that the dumps contained Sarin and that we had been exposed.

1614435849203.png

Not my photo.

Sounds like the engineers that blew the ammo dumps at Khamisyah in 1991 - we were admiring the huge plumes of smoke when all of a sudden unfuzed 122mm shells started landing in our position. Great fun was had by all, surpassed only by our letters from the DOD informing us that the dumps contained Sarin and that we had been exposed.

View attachment 552964
Not my photo.
Just chalk it up to yet another septic blue on blue...

Not a bad bang......

Not entirely without injuries sadly, it seems....

Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 18.50.34.png

Smooth move of Exeter University to thank the Army when it was by all accounts a Navy op.....

Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 18.50.16.png

Nice of them to thank the Army when it was a RN Team.

Smooth move of Exeter University to thank the Army when it was by all accounts a Navy op.....

Nice of them to thank the Army when it was a RN Team.
Are you sure about that?

'A police spokesman said: “The examination and detonation of the device has been passed to the Army.'

Last edited:

Latest Threads