Large EOD find

Indeed Mp38/40, Stench series, MP18I, 28I, Lanchester, M3 series Greasegun all have the same mag fault in their designs

So not just german crap but UK and US crap. face it the Wops had a better SMG
no amount of ruffling the times will fix that fact
The Sten mag was supposed to be compatible with the Lanchester, an MP-28 copy and that was supposed to be compatible with the MP-34/38/40. They were double-row, single feed mags that relied on the spring pressure to centre the top round in the magazine. The modern double-row, double-feed magazine was (ISTR) invented around 1935 by Dieudonné Saive (later of THAT rifle fame) to fit 13 rounds into the grip of the new Browning Hi-Power.

The Sten magazine design problem was added to by the fact that the magazines were made by every metal-bashing workshop, tolerances were loose and there was no quality control. If you sorted out a set of reliable magazines, it was as good as any of its contemporaries but was liable to surprise unwary new users with its magazine unreliability. .

The Sten mag was supposed to be compatible with the Lanchester, an MP-28 copy and that was supposed to be compatible with the MP-34/38/40. They were double-row, single feed mags that relied on the spring pressure to centre the top round in the magazine. The modern double-row, double-feed magazine was (ISTR) invented around 1935 by Dieudonné Saive (later of THAT rifle fame) to fit 13 rounds into the grip of the new Browning Hi-Power.

The Sten magazine design problem was added to by the fact that the magazines were made by every metal-bashing workshop, tolerances were loose and there was no quality control. If you sorted out a set of reliable magazines, it was as good as any of its contemporaries but was liable to surprise unwary new users with its magazine unreliability. .
Don't you mean the High Power has a double row single feed magazine ?

Last edited:
I did mine in ‘88. Sandy Sanderson (RIP) on recognition and @eodmatt on Fuze Imm.

And nor am I, or have I ever been, a crab!
Cats out the bag now Crabo.

Sandy was a decent bloke, had the good fortune to speak to him on several occasions while he was at EODTIC - Is that still going?

Thompson Mags were always Double stack Double feed from model 1921 onwards

my everything poem

Cats out the bag now Crabo.

Sandy was a decent bloke, had the good fortune to speak to him on several occasions while he was at EODTIC - Is that still going?
Sandy was still a SSgt when I went through DEODS, but not long after he took over the
EODTIC job when ‘Uncle Arthur’ finally retired. An absolute gent and excellent at recognition. The more obscure the better.

When he taught us the Hawkins Mine it felt like he was going to say “of course it would be worth more if you still had the original packaging...”

Lodge Hill, DEODS and EODTIC clung on for a bit after the main camp closed. I had assumed it moved to Kineton when DEMS was formed.

For those not in the EOD illuminati, EODTIC was (is?) the NATO technical information centre, staffed by a succession of gentlemen who were the font of all knowledge on ordnance. Anybody in NATO could contact them from
Anywhere in the world and ask for assistance. Even as a now civvy I did it a few times, from Bosnia, Cambodia and Uganda. You could get an answer from Sandy (PBUH) faster than Meerkatz could google...

I suspect the reaction is the same as being in a bomb suit... amazing the effect of pure adrenaline on the system!
I was at my calmest on manual approaches, it’s the only peace you get on task and never felt an adrenalin rush although no doubt it was there as I usually felt drained on task complete. Even manually entering suicide vests without radiography didn’t pump me up. I guess i was concentrating on the task.

Sandy was still a SSgt when I went through DEODS, but not long after he took over the
EODTIC job when ‘Uncle Arthur’ finally retired. An absolute gent and excellent at recognition. The more obscure the better.

When he taught us the Hawkins Mine it felt like he was going to say “of course it would be worth more if you still had the original packaging...”

Lodge Hill, DEODS and EODTIC clung on for a bit after the main camp closed. I had assumed it moved to Kineton when DEMS was formed.

For those not in the EOD illuminati, EODTIC was (is?) the NATO technical information centre, staffed by a succession of gentlemen who were the font of all knowledge on ordnance. Anybody in NATO could contact them from
Anywhere in the world and ask for assistance. Even as a now civvy I did it a few times, from Bosnia, Cambodia and Uganda. You could get an answer from Sandy (PBUH) faster than Meerkatz could google...

I have my signed copy from Uncle Arthur - lovely man

HE117

LE
I was at my calmest on manual approaches, it’s the only peace you get on task and never felt an adrenalin rush although no doubt it was there as I usually felt drained on task complete. Even manually entering suicide vests without radiography didn’t pump me up. I guess i was concentrating on the task.
I don't necessarily think it comes out as panic.. I would suspect that anyone who got that reaction would have been turfed out during training or pre-ops. I just found that you were able to do things seemingly without effort that you would struggle with in normal circumstances...? You certainly felt the effects when you got back in the ICP..

But yes, focus is probably one of the main outcomes! The other one I had to counter was the loss of time awareness, and not to get so absorbed in what you were doing that you missed other things happening around you.

I tend to put my ability to operate in these circumstances down to a lack of imagination and an all round dull personality... :)

don’t hold that magazine folks - and that’s a much less loose STEN than many

HE117

LE

Agreed...

I met Sandy a few times at Idiotic.. it was a great pity I never found more excuses to get down there! I have to say that for much of my time the RAOC/RE "great divide" was in play, much to the annoyance of anyone who was seriously involved or interested in EOD in all its variety.

Tribalism of the very worst sort!

Agreed...

I met Sandy a few times at Idiotic.. it was a great pity I never found more excuses to get down there! I have to say that for much of my time the RAOC/RE "great divide" was in play, much to the annoyance of anyone who was seriously involved or interested in EOD in all its variety.

Tribalism of the very worst sort!
Indeed.

It became even worse after you all became RCT bomb disposal :)

It even carried over a bit into civvy EOD work, but not for long I’m glad to say. Why some organisations even recruit the RAF!

The magazine well only located in position by the less than positive plunger does seem like a serious flaw in hindsight. The MK III didn't have that problem.
does make you wonder why one of the more complex and least used features of the STEN lived on through the MkV

Thompson Mags were always Double stack Double feed from model 1921 onwards

my everything poem
Yes, thanks, I'd got that wrong. It seems Saive's only innovation with his high capacity magazine was putting a double row magazine into the grip of a pistol.

That goes down a rabbit hole of who had invented what and when. Forgotten Weapons says that In the MP-28 Schmeisser had used a "double-stack, single feed design because Schmeisser thought this would prevent some malfunctions that were possible with double-feed magazines (and because Mauser probably had a patent on the double feed box magazine at the time)".

It seems the MP-28 magazine design begat the whole series of MP-34/38/40, Lanchester and Sten dodgy magazines.

I'm not sure what patent Mausers had, it was probably for the 1917 carbine version of the C96 which (unlike the C96) had a detachable double stack, double feed 40-round magazine.

I think Oscar Payne must have invented his magazine independently of Mauser.

Latest Threads