Large EOD find

Yep, double cell was the most common ...usually toted by Monkeys
Never seen it. Those for whom the SMG was their issue weapon got issued the standard mag pouches for SLR mags, which I always thought daft. Mind you , being in signals we had the 7.62 Bren and nothing fitted those mags either !

Nato123

On ROPS
On ROPs
Never seen it. Those for whom the SMG was their issue weapon got issued the standard mag pouches for SLR mags, which I always thought daft. Mind you , being in signals we had the 7.62 Bren and nothing fitted those mags either !
Google something like 'Smg pouches 58 Pattern'... my google fu isn't letting me post at the 'mo.... probably a good thing :)

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
is the sten/MP40 mag not one of those where 30 rounds can be too much - it needs a loading tool doesn't it? a bit like they used to say we could get 21 rounds in an SLR magazine - fine if we wanted instant stoppages.

the sterling magazine is often regarded as the best magazine out there of that style of weapon though. just think how much more ally we would have been storming the beaches with sterlings.

just watched forgotten weapons on that S&W 9mm rifle abortion the RAF ordered - so it could have been worse.

and MP40 is lovely - apart from the rattly stock IMO.

We just dig them up and ID them as ordnance or trash. Cable-bothering trash we relocate. Bangy stuff we leave for the Cloggy navy to wrap lovingly in PE and press the tit on.

Mind you, there was one they decided to pick up and move further out as it was a bit close to the channel into the Maas. They did this by cradling it in strops, lifting it to mid-water and then carefully moving along with it on tow sub-surface. When they got to the chosen detonation location they lowered it to seabed, the divers went down to place the charges and..................called up to surface with the Dutch for "Er, where the eff is it...?"

They found it eventually, halfway back to where they'd started from.
it must be hard swimming in an EOD suit though, can't be nice if any go off under there.

Unremarkable

War Hero
A small number of Patchett SMG were trialled at Arnhem. At that stage in their development, if I remember correctly, they were fed from Sten magazines. (Incidentally, a friend's uncle went equipped with one). Adopted post war with a new magazine, though renamed as the Sterling.

NSP

LE
it must be hard swimming in an EOD suit though, can't be nice if any go off under there.
Never thought to ask the clearance divers we had onboard to do the ID'ing and certification sign-off and whatnot. Think they just wear the usual wetsuit/drybag rig with a closed helmet so that they can have comms with the surface. I don't think they bother much with all that defusing stuff on old kit if it's not close to something immobile - just clear the area, carefully excavate, put some charges on it and destroy it in place. I remember years ago finding an old mine resting against a 36" gas export line in the southern NS and Faslane took one look at the screengrabs and said, "We're not touching that with yours!"

The office master plan? We'd use the ROV to slide a net under it attached to the crane hook, gently lift it off the seabed, slowly move to a clear bit of seabed, set it down (abandoning the net in the process) and then invite the navy to come down and blow it up. Would have been fun if this thing had gone pop 20-odd metres beneath the keel:-

Mine01.jpg

Last edited:

NSP

LE
Couple of other finds...

Bomb6.jpg
BOMB1.JPG

@NSP - cook wants to know if you can grab the prawns while you're at it.....

NSP

LE
@NSP - cook wants to know if you can grab the prawns while you're at it.....
Bit small. They did grab a monkfish by the tail with the manipulator one time, though...

Monkfish1.jpg

Thought I had a snap of the ROV coming inboard with it hanging in the jaws of the arm but apparently it has gone the way of all my Yemen pics and sundry others and disappeared into the digital black hole.

Last edited:

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer

NSP

LE

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I believe so. Still enough of a pop in that thing to knack an ROV, though, I gather.
interesting I thought it was just ballast to get the pilots used to the weight.

NSP

LE
interesting I thought it was just ballast to get the pilots used to the weight.
I think there's a bit of bang in them to generate a flash and set off an orange smoke marker for hit/miss indication, or something.

I'm sure an actual ordnance expert will be along shortly to explain actuality...

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I think there's a bit of bang in them to generate a flash and set off an orange smoke marker for hit/miss indication, or something.

I'm sure an actual ordnance expert will be along shortly to explain actuality...
well they use live when they bomb scotland every year - they still can't take the hint.

HE117

LE
is the sten/MP40 mag not one of those where 30 rounds can be too much - it needs a loading tool doesn't it? a bit like they used to say we could get 21 rounds in an SLR magazine - fine if we wanted instant stoppages.

the sterling magazine is often regarded as the best magazine out there of that style of weapon though. just think how much more ally we would have been storming the beaches with sterlings.

just watched forgotten weapons on that S&W 9mm rifle abortion the RAF ordered - so it could have been worse.

and MP40 is lovely - apart from the rattly stock IMO.

I suspect the reaction is the same as being in a bomb suit... amazing the effect of pure adrenaline on the system! Leap tall buildings etc.. In my case it was vaulting a 6ft wall and gaining a hernia as a result!

Warshot HE is usually standard NATO green with yellow markings, although the body colour can be changed for concealment purposes. Orange is used on certain stores to aid recovery, however this can be mistaken for other uses of Orange in certain "Instant Sunshine" applications...!

,,,but yes the Blue thing is a Prac Depth charge which has both a smoke float indicator and a sound unit to wake up the Bubblers and deafen Sonar Operators...

I'm trying to remember the DEODS lessons on the microphone stethoscope and fuze immunisation - whilst I vividly remember the fuze imm process I can't remember what the old Mic Stethoscope looked like or how we used to. I don't remember the clockstopper magnet very well so I was going to re-watch Danger UXB but I think the magnet gadget was different in the late 80s/early 90s. Can anyone refresh my memory?

Still a more reliable firearm even today dug up then a Sten (Which didnt win ww2 for the UK either)

Mags are double stack, double position feed EONS more reliable than any Sten, Greasegun or MP18/28/38/40 mags and come in 40 rd, 30rd, 20 rd, and even 10 rd varieties

The Compensator cut in that 38/42 or 44 does work in keeping muzzle climb down so right off only the Shpagin PPsh 41 and Thompson M1928A1 can compare

Double triggers mean no futzing around selecting semi or full the 42 & 44 had a 550 RPM cyclic rate

Stop reading commando comics for your intelligence

EDIT Oh Dear everyone NATO123 and QRK2 are offended by criticism of the Sten. Obviously it is gods own creation and slayeth the hun by the bushel for God and King
In this man’s hands it can also fire about 70 rounds without a reload too...

Has anyone done a programme about treasure hunting in Vietnam?
Ive seen the one in Eastern Europe and several focusing on the Seelow Heights. Theres got to be loads of stuff in the 'Nam that is yet to be found.
It’s an entire cottage industry that kills and injures dozens of people every year in Vietnam Laos and Cambodia.

You can buy a home made metal detector there for about 10 dollars...

Search ‘scrap metal collecting in Vietnam’ on google.

I'm trying to remember the DEODS lessons on the microphone stethoscope and fuze immunisation - whilst I vividly remember the fuze imm process I can't remember what the old Mic Stethoscope looked like or how we used to. I don't remember the clockstopper magnet very well so I was going to re-watch Danger UXB but I think the magnet gadget was different in the late 80s/early 90s. Can anyone refresh my memory?
Depends on your era.

By the late 80’s (when I did my course) the mike steth was based around clansman headphones, one for the No 1 and one for the No 2 in the ICP, on the end of a FO big reel of cable. The steth head itself was about the size of a tin of crab paste IIRC.

The clock stopper had gone out of service by then.

Latest Threads