Large EOD find

700 KG WW2 German GC parachute mine fished up by a Dutch trawler. Subsequently destroyed by Cloggy Navy EOD.

Article here in Dutch.

The video is worth a look, as is the Dutch EOD FB page which has lots of finds on them.

Bom-HD-42-foto-EOD.jpg

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
A load of Weapons turned up recently in Italy when builders where demolishing an old property, Italian Carbines WW1 era, stens, and pistols, they reckon hidden by the Anti fascist movment
I wonder what other weapons caches are still concealed in Europe
1590565377693.png

Last edited:
A load of Weapons turned up recently in Italy when builders where demolishing an old property, Italian Carbines WW1 era, stens, and pistols, they reckon hidden by the Anti fascist movment
View attachment 476924

What are the objects in the top centre of the pic. Looks like some sort of spike?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
What are the objects in the top centre of the pic. Looks like some sort of spike?
Caltrops, been around since ancient times, still effective. Originally used to stop/slow down/injure men and horses, now of course very effective against tyres.

There will still be old buildings around the UK with arms and ammunition from WW2.

1590575444945.jpeg

I was gutted that I had to destroy one of these. It was all rusted up and I couldn’t make it safe.

The home guard would often hide their ammunition at home, usually in a wall cavity or hidey hole, to b forgotten about after the war and rediscovered decades later. I was frequently tasked to grenades, these often were not filled or fused as they were used for practice, but outwardly you can’t tell the difference.

It’s great blue lighting somewhere, cutting through the traffic, dealing with an item Then being invited to have tea and sandwiches overlooking a beautiful loch.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
There will still be old buildings around the UK with arms and ammunition from WW2.

View attachment 476972
I was gutted that I had to destroy one of these. It was all rusted up and I couldn’t make it safe.

The home guard would often hide their ammunition at home, usually in a wall cavity or hidey hole, to b forgotten about after the war and rediscovered decades later. I was frequently tasked to grenades, these often were not filled or fused as they were used for practice, but outwardly you can’t tell the difference.

It’s great blue lighting somewhere, cutting through the traffic, dealing with an item Then being invited to have tea and sandwiches overlooking a beautiful loch.
That is a crying shame, I have always wanted one of those.

Watching some bloke on youtube that explores abandoned mine shafts in the far north of Canada and he regularly comes across boxes of Dynamite, dets and fuse just lying aboot.

View attachment 476972

Peter Kay walt

View attachment 476972

Bloke on the range has a good piece on them

700 KG WW2 German GC parachute mine fished up by a Dutch trawler. Subsequently destroyed by Cloggy Navy EOD.

Article here in Dutch.

The video is worth a look, as is the Dutch EOD FB page which has lots of finds on them.

View attachment 476920
Google translation is interesting:

The Helderse cutter HD42 "Grietje Cornelia" caught a heavy German sea mine on Thursday. All security services were immediately notified of this.

The men of the Maritime EOD. (photo subtitle)

The sea mine turned out to be dangerous and the crew of the cutter was not allowed to do anything anymore. The Maritime Explosives Ordnance Disposal Service (MEOD), part of the Royal Navy's mining department, immediately detonated the explosive in the North Sea.

This resulted in a huge explosion, see video below. Everything went well for skipper Frank Oosterman and the crew of the HD42 and the men of the Maritime EOD.

The GC mine, is one of the most notorious mines from World War II, a sensitive projectile at the time that would explode with movement or pressure difference. Ten kilos of explosive were used by the EOD to detonate the mine. The mine itself contained 700 kilos of explosive.

The EOD writes on their Facebook page here: “Today the Maritime EOD company worked together with the DDG (Defense Diving Group) and the Coast Guard to release a fisherman from his unwanted by-catch. a German Luftminenbombe (naval mine) "

That is a crying shame, I have always wanted one of those.
Plenty about. Seen some nice Boer War ones at auction, quite a few of Chilean provenance that ended up here. The ones with the clip on wooden holsters sharing a serial number are worth a few bob.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
View attachment 476924

too old for a gladio cache.

View attachment 476924

6.5 mm Carcano M 91/38 and a Truppe Speciali M 91/28
Beretta M 38/42

Good choices

then there is the Stens from WW2

Latest Threads