Large camper van with water entering roof skylight - help.

As title. Got a large camper van, now got water coming in through the skylight. Taking it apart the wood ceiling is damp and seems the water is “ sliding” under the roof cladding between the skin and wood ceiling.

Anyone know a product to dry out the wood and also seal it?

Any tips tricks ?
Tape up the windows and door, put a warn air blower inside [inlet through one of the windows to give positive pressure ]soap water will show you where the roof is leaking, if its the skylight remove it, if its distorted replace it, take your time don't just seal it up and hope it goes away, you can find any leaks in the outer skin
at the same time

I’m no expert, but you might have a leak.

I know this is an outrageous notion, just hope it helps.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
if you want to trace a leak talcum powder helps, you sprinkle it around and you can see where the water came through
I have only just found the source of water ingress in my daughters Puegot
it only leaked when parked ??
the main wiring harness has not been reffited correctly after an accident repair
I took half the bloody car apart to find it
five minutes to refit it correctly and add some silicon sealant !!!

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
No and no white flag or 27 reverse gears.
Completely off topic, but Ossie Baker, a very long serving sldr and good friend, who later ran the National Museum of Military History in Saxonwold, used to take great pleasure in showing visitors around an Italian armoured car (Autoblinda 40 ?) with a steering wheel at each end.

Back to your soggy pikey van...

Completely off topic, but Ossie Baker, a very long serving sldr and good friend, who later ran the National Museum of Military History in Saxonwold, used to take great pleasure in showing visitors around an Italian armoured car (Autoblinda 40 ?) with a steering wheel at each end.

Back to your soggy pikey van...
Cool story bro!

Your seals have gone take off skylight and clean all around it and use sikaflex Sealant to seal it in I'd also do any others at the same time had a few seals go over the years make sure you dry van out as well by running an electric heater for a day or two afterwards. Also look at resealing any roof joints at the same time as the sealant goes brittle over time

What type of van do you have

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I’d be trying to get it into a heated barn and taking the roof back to the frame if that’s possible.

In my experience botch jobs just seal the misery in for future nause
This. Strip back and rebuild. Otherwise all you are doing is trapping the moisture inside and will rot from the inside out. Major issue in the boat world with epoxy ply or epoxy sheathed boats.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
When you have fixed the leak tell the navy how you did it, it may help with their leak
Various govt depts would like help too.

Your seals have gone take off skylight and clean all around it and use sikaflex Sealant to seal it in I'd also do any others at the same time had a few seals go over the years make sure you dry van out as well by running an electric heater for a day or two afterwards. Also look at resealing any roof joints at the same time as the sealant goes brittle over time

What type of van do you have
On the subject of using heaters be careful of what type of heater.
This is a coffee vendor van where we fitted heating coils over the existing stainless steel flex piping to prevent overnight freezing. (We also fitted drain valves to the machine solenoids btw) The van was going to Saskatoon Canada where it drops to-30c. We resealed the roof vents...new vents with new sealant...and supplied a plug in air warmer.

1519517966282.png

This is the result after some dummy didn't listen:
1519518496934.png

He figured that a propane space heater would give better BTU's than our recommended air warmer. In that respect he was right..it did :-(

ps: I never for a moment thought that I would ever have a reason to post these pics on Arrse.

As title. Got a large camper van, now got water coming in through the skylight. Taking it apart the wood ceiling is damp and seems the water is “ sliding” under the roof cladding between the skin and wood ceiling.

Anyone know a product to dry out the wood and also seal it?

Any tips tricks ?
The only way to dry wood out is to get the vehicle under cover and use a dehumidifier. You've got to be careful with those things as they can make other timber in the Camper warp.
Has the Camper got an insulated roof? If it has then you need to try and find out how far the water has worked its way under the insulation

You will have to remove the roof light. Do you know what make it is? If you do, then may be able to get a new set of seals either from the manufacturer or people like CAK or O'Learys

Motorhome accessories Caravan accessories spare parts Horsebox Race van camper Marine

O'Leary Motorhomes - the UK's No1 source for Motorhome self build, parts and accessories