Lara Croft, Friend Detained On Weapons Charges

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Not_Whistlin_Dixie, May 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the Daily Mail:

When police spotted a gun-wielding suspect lurking in the shadows of a suburban front room, their response was swift.

Armed officers burst into the house, shouted at the owner to lie on the floor, and ordered him to surrender his weapon.

But efficiency turned to embarrassment when the "gunman" turned out to be a life-sized model of the video game character Lara Croft, complete with trademark outsized pistols.

Computer shop owner David Williams, 42, had taken the dummy home to put it up for sale on the auction site eBay.

As the source of the confusion dawned on all concerned, it might have been the moment for an apology from the police.

Instead, however, Mr Williams was taken to the cells and held for more than 13 hours before being released.

He is now on bail for a suspected firearms offence, and Lara Croft remains impounded as evidence.

Perhaps The Incredible Hulk will take umbrage at these events and free Ms. Croft, while inflicting as much property damage upon the place of her detention as he can. Hey, it could happen.

"Armed police raid home after mistaking Lara Croft dummy for gunman"
    by James Tozer - More by this author »
    Last updated at 18:57pm on 15th May 2007
  2. Just one of those things really. I wonder what the Newspapers slant would have been on the story if the police didn't act on the information which was probably from someone who knows nothing about firearms, and the person inside went on a killing spree?

He was probably arrested in order to justify the force used and whilst the house was searched.
  3. Oh well, that's OK then
  4. What firearms offence did they arrest him on exactly?

And what was the pillock making the arrest thinking!
  5. And thirteen hours incarceration? Well done plod, another nail in the coffin of trust between der polizei and those whose consent they police by. In fairness, I suppose it took that long for the poor bureaucratically overburdened scuffers to fill in the appropriate paperwork.

This should've been red faces all 'round and a slink off back to the canteen for a guffawing session at the absurdity of it all. Not having some poor cnut slammed up for half a day out of revenge for making them look like a bunch of common senseless mongs. Or is it just me?

The story should have read:

It was red faces all around after the police over-responded to an incident initially believed to be involving a firearm. It was quickly ascertained that the immobile, gun-wielding figure seen through net curtains was nothing more than a life-size model of the computer geek fantasy figure Lara Croft. A police spokesperson added, 'It gave us a bit of a start, but we quickly realised that we'd over-reacted. Better to be safe than sorry.' The doll's owner thanked the police for their efforts and donated a sum to their Xmas charidee slush fund. No arrests were made.
  7. fair does investigate even check the dolls handguns were not real but after that stop digging your hole
  8. I'd reserve judgement until I knew what the "suspected firearms offence" he's been bailed for.
  9. Possesion of an imitation firearm?
  10. Not an absolute offence. You have to have it in a public place without reasonable excuse or use it to threaten someone with etc.

The "pistol" is moulded into the models arm if you look at the bbc video clip.

They should have just gone back to the station once they realised the mistake - bang out of order to arrest the bloke and detain him for 13 hours. Muppets.
  11. Im a bit concerned what they are doing to poor Lara. The perverts :twisted:
  12. Free Lara Croft!

Free Lara Croft!

No justice, no peace!
  13. I agree with you that the police were right to act on the information. I agree with you that when dealing with suspected firearms that the drills have to act as if it is real. I agree with you that it is "just one of those things", being old and cynical enough to accept that "sh1t happens"

However, this should be enough to justify the level of force used, arresting and detaining him as well does appear to be an abuse of power. What policy, procedure or risk assessment ia allowing this to happen?

On another point, looking at where the artcle was published, the Daily Mail does not have quite the same audience as the Socalist Worker (or An Phobalacht even), and if articles are starting to be published in the Mail that are saying the police are abusing their powers and priorities, it's time to run for the hills.

If Middle England is losing confidence, it's time for a serious examination of policing, and I hate to say it, but looking at the "we're always right, no-one else understands what we go through" posts that always appear, and the apparant inability to accept any criticism displayed, good luck to whoever will have the job - glad it's not me!
  14. And I think that the above post sums it all up beautifully. It's all about perceptions - whether flawed or not. And the perception of the vast majority of people in the UK now is that the police have lost the plot and are nothing more than arbiters of current political dogma. Not good.
  15. I agree with you mate but i really can't see a way out whilst the Home Office continue with their mania for targets, political correctness and removal of common sense and discretion also whilst ACPO refuse to stand up to them.