Laptops needed

Discussion in 'Classified Ads' started by Wynter, Nov 9, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone,

Can anyone help me? I am trying to get hold of two fairly cheap laptops of the same specification. The problem is I have no idea what to look for, or where to start. Since I know there are some really clever techie people out there I thought perhaps you could help...

... and as this is ARRSE, yes the most helpful response will get sexual favours in return... :wink: :roll:

xx
    W

2. You could also try ebay.co.uk or www.ebuyer.com. Don't expect to get anything decent without spending around £500-£600.

DO NOT TRUST YOU LOCAL COMPUTER FAIRS AS THIS WILL LEAD TO MORE PROBLEMS.

You did admit to little or no knowledge.

3. msr

msr LE

4. First things first
    Whats the budget per laptop?

5. Hadn't really thought budget, but I'd like to say no more than £300 each. Certainly the less the better! I'm not worried about battery life, as I will have access to plug sockets wherever used, and also don't need a very high spec, just need word and excel really. Although a CDRW would be nice... Doesn't need to pe especially light or slim as it'll be carried by car mostly, and I'm not worried about DVD or games facilities. Just a really bog basic laptop!!

xx
    W

6. Morgan Computers are generally quite good. Remember though, with laptops you get what you pay for.
    www.morgancomputers.co.uk

7. In that case, you could visit a local CompFair but please find someone local with knowledge who would go with you.

Have fun
    Johno

8. Wynter, I fyou are in the Mil find out when the next tech refresh is for your or the closest unit to you? Then when its bieng done sk the IT People what they are doing with the laptops that have been replaced? Then put a bid in for them.

W e have just had it done nd laptops went for £60 TO £100.

9. Wynter
    At www.pcworld.co.uk there is PATRIOT VIA 1GHZ PROCESSOR LAPTOP at £350, specs a bit on the weak side but would be fine for basic office stuff (But I'm no fan of VIA chips or idiots at PC world)
    www.ebay.co.uk have quite alot on offer. look for something over 700mhz CPU and at least 256MB Ram. Try http://www.laptopsuperstore.co.uk/ they sometimes have stuff on offer :)

10. Do check eBay. There are often laptops that were corporate lease returns, and multiples of the same computer listed, often with a lot of extras.
    I've seen IBM laptops go for around $250 US dollars

11. Hi,
    Did you ever get your laptops?
    SMLE(The best rifle ever?)

12. msr

msr LE

http://uk.aldi.com/sale/product_531.html

# ntel® Pentium® M processor 735(1.7Ghz)
    # Multi Format DVD Burner DVD-+ R/RW
    # Intel PRO/WIRELESS LAN 2200 b/g
    # ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with 128MB
    # High resolution 15.1" SXGA+ Display
    # 80 GB Hard disk
    # 512 MB DDR RAM 333MHz
    # 4 in 1 Card Reader
    # Soundsystem
    # 2 internal speakers, internal
    # microphone connection
    # 3x USB 2.0,
    # Firewire IEEE1394
    # VGA-Out, Mic-In, Line-Out,
    # TV-Out (s-video)
    # 56k Modem V.90 and fast ethernet 10/100Mbit LAN (includes telephone cable)
    # Battery: Smart Li-Ion battery (8 cells)#

13. thats a shame wynter. i just sold one of mine. £350 and a good spec too. but you didnt want to know that though. sorry.