Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Dr_Chris, May 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've done something very bloody stupid and just applied for a credit card just so I can buy a laptop. Been accepted and the silly buggers have given me a £3000 limit to waste away my hard earned cash on a laptop.

I only want to spend an absoloute maximum of £1000 on a laptop which needs to be good for the following:

- High end games (so good graphics, good processor and at LEAST 1GB of RAM)

- DVD RW

- Fair sized screen

- Wireless internet

- 140GB HD minimum

Anyone have any recommendations? I don't want to just plunge in and buy one without knowing what I'm going for is going to do the job.

Sorry if this should be somewhere else, too.
  2. I'd spend about £3 on a copy of Stuff, T3 or Boystoys to be honest. They are no bullsh*t magazines.
  3. If it's high end gaming you're after, have a look at

the only downside may be the delivery time for your machine.

Happy hunting

Finding the right laptop..

I recommend Lenovo which used to be IBM
    good sturdy construction with tried and tested hardware..
    But everyone has a different opinion..

Best prices look at
  5. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Got a Dell Inspiron 9400 dual core wide screen - does the job, binned my old desktop.

Bit peeved that they dropped hugely in price weeks after I bought it though...
  6. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Chris, have a look at "The A List" on and also their latest reviews. It should tell you all you need to know!
  7. Have to say that I agree with 02FD32....I really like Lenovo kit. It's expensive for the high performing kit, but support is second to none and the stuff really lasts. You'll be able to get spares for it for years to come.
  8. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Dell always drop their prices in the last two weeks of their financial quarters, and you can save upwards of 25% by getting the timing right.

The trick is to see when the current special offers end, and then telephone them, rather than buying over the web, just before the offers end.
  9. i agree alienware build great computers