Laptop Upgrade, London

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Pork_Pie, Oct 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have a laptop with WIndows Vista, but only 512 MB of RAM. (Bought it about 18 months ago.)

My patience with its slow performance has become rather strained.

I'd like to upgrade the RAM, but don't want to do it myself.

Any recommendations for companies/people in central London, or Wimbledon/Kingston area, that could do this? Any ideas of cost?

Also, if I'm likely to buy a new laptop in next 12 months or so, is there much point in going beyond 1 GB of RAM? Only use it for e-mail, internet, & Microsoft Office applications, nothing too demanding.

Thanks in advance, and apologies for my ignorance of these subjects.

2. If you buy the RAM I'll put it in for free. I live not far from Kingston.

3. msr

msr LE

This is a simple procedure and I would strongly recommend that you do it yourself.

First make sure that you have a spare memory slot. There should be a panel on the bottom of your laptop Unscrew it and check.

If you do, go here: http://crucial.com/uk/ and buy the correct memory

Install it.

msr

4. What type is the Laptop?

5. Laptop is an Evesham Voyager, not sure what type, but think a C 340.

Is installing RAM literally just a case of unscrewing back of laptop, put RAM in (no soldering, just clicks in place), and away you go? I have 2 spare slots, each can hold 1 GB. So, I could just stick in 1 GB, and with existing RAM, would have 1.5 GB?

Smudge - If it is as simple as above, I may try myself. If not, I'll take you up on your kind offer.

Thanks all.

6. msr

msr LE

Yes!

But you may have to 'pair' the memory modules and bung in another 512Mb. Check the manual.

msr

7. Most PC/laptops that are half new don't need the memory to be paired. But it's wise to check.

8. Appears I'm OK on the pairing front.

Thanks.