Laptop turning off

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Legs, Feb 6, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My laptop keeps turning itself off. Not shutting down, no warning. One minute I'm working away and the next nothing. Nada. All I had running the last few times was Google Chrome (9 tabs open - all forums, no video) and iTunes doing a sync. The exhaust vent is spewing fairly hot air though, and the fan is cycling up and down. I've checked all the vents are clear and free from dust.

Any ideas? Is my processor dying? Do I have an excuse for buying a new lappy?

(Toshiba Satellite L655 running Windows 7)

2. Is it running on batteries, and if it is, does it do the same when on mains?

3. Running on mains.

Sorry, should have said.

4. Two of mine had fan/cooling problems. One had a new keyboard,motherboard another had a new battery. Toshiba are ****.

5. My new Lenovo one is much, much better and doesn't sound like a 747

6. Work on a hard surface, so you don't block the "exhaust". Get a diagnostic temperature reading program, see here:

Monitoring laptop temperature?

It is probably excessive cpu temperature.

edit to add: You really can't go wrong with Acer for price, performance and reliability.

7. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

My ex is a Tosh Sat. The most expensive (around a grand if I recall) and hassle machine I ever owned. After a year it keeled over on a regular basis then I had to reboot 3 or 4 times to get the ****** started. It is in one of the attics waiting for me to collect it and send the piece of shite to Laptop Valhalla with the aid of petrol.

I replaced it with £350 worth of white-badge plastic that Uber-Geek at work said I should buy. It turns no heads on Euro-Star but it has been rock solid for 2 years.

• Like Like x 1
  8. In one of "The Attics"! Do you live in Blenheim Palace?

9. I've had similar problems with Toshibas in the past, turned out to be over heating, the only way I got 'round it was by having the laptop on a tray or something similar so that air could flow under the laptop and get to the fans.

10. And then they died anyway... kill them all.

11. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Dunno. Do you look at the name on the gate as you are driven home?

• Like Like x 2
  12. I do indeed and it says "HMP Marriage"! You clearly have a better life than I. If Mr's Nickleby sees this then I fucked!:muhaha:

13. Bit of basic fault finding wouldn't hurt before splashing out.

Check that there is power coming from the end of the adapter lead. Those poxy things are prone to breakdown.

14. I had a Toshiba about two years ago which started over heating and breaking down. I read that it was a common problem that Toshiba had overcome. I've had this one now for two years and no problems with over heating. My two sons have the same model, a Toshiba equium or something like that and again, no overheating problems. I would buy them again.