Laptop speed reduced - any ideas?

Chaps

I am back on R&R from BSN, and my laptop has slowed down significantly since I left. By which I mean playing MW2, there is more than usual lag. Also, playing Dawn of War 2, in a big punch up with lots of gunfire noise and voice, it is stuttering.

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A500 running Windows 7, Intel Core Duo @2.13 Ghz, 4GB RAM.

The only different things I have done to it is run the Paradigm WiFi in Theatre, and downloaded a load of Music Videos which I spliced with MS Moviemaker - doing htis resulted in shutdowns on several occasions.

I have run Malware Bytes and Rkill, also MS Security, with no finds of viruses. I have also tried to use the various Windows diagnostic tools and turned off a few startup programmes.

Can anyone advise what to do to get back to non-stuttering, non-laggy action?

Cheers all

CCleaner sometimes helps speed up my PC - I run it once a month or so and the clean up appears to give it a spring in its step for a few more weeks

Get a new one, I bought a Toshiba 6 months ago and have decided its a pile of shite.
I agree - I bought my kid a Satalite about a year ago - it was absolutely useless until I wiped just about every invasive program that was pre-installed on it. After that it wasn't too bad apart from the awkwardly positioned 'mouse' buttons

Thank you all for the speedy replies. I have gone for a free version of CCleaner, see how that gets on. I went to defrag, it told me it had done it at 0300 on Wednesday and did not need to be done - which was funny as the bloody thing was not even on.

Roger that Toshiba with all its preloaded crap is frustrating - it actually the Mesahib's computer and got shanghaied for the tour. However until now the speeds for gaming have been OK.

When I can get back and spunk some Op Allowance on a new desktop (considering these Novatech People) the problem may be irrelevant...

I use a Sony Vaio on base for all kinds of assorted crap. its getting on a bit now but is hard wearing and very fast for gaming chatting etc.

Not much into games but if the program requires internet link, I know BT run down speeds to less than 1 meg if the line isn't used for some time, e.g. away on service. My line took a month to repair external damage, at the end of which the engineer had to get someone to lift the cap on the line speed which had automatically kicked in.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C The NAAFI Bar 16
Wynter Classified Ads 13
Mighty_doh_nut Classified Ads 0