Laptop security/memory

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Fablonbiffchit, Apr 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have a Packerd Bell laptop. Its under warranty through Techguys/PC World. It had been taking a while to start up so I called Techguys. Solution: bring up task manager and remove some of the features that are used when starting up. Did this and alls well. Few days later it started taking longer again. Phoned Techguys and they suggested I save everything and then clean it ie press Alt and F5 together. This I did and set up again from scratch. I had to have Norton reset remotely by a guy using his own workshop in India and it was all okay. Since cleaning and resetting everything it keeps rebooting of its own accord. You can be on the internet and it reboots and comes back straight away to the same page. The window displays server reconnected or something similar in the bottom right hand corner. Also when tyoing the cursor seems to have a mind of its own. It will move of its own accord so I have to physically move it via the mouse to where I want it.

I can have it sent back to Techguys as its under warranty but I am very paranoid as I use the internet for banking and other personnel stuff (Nothing to do with Gary Glitter before you ask). If I press Alt and F5 does that delete everything from memory so that it can go to the Techguys lab and they wont be able to see personnel items?

2. msr

msr LE

Switching it off deletes everything from memory (RAM).

If you want to remove everything from the HDD use this BE WARNED THIS WILL PERMANENTLY DELETE THE DATA FROM YOUR HDD.

When you say re-boot, do you mean your browser crashes and then recovers itself?

If you are so concerned about security, why do you have a guy from India remotely connect to your PC?

3. It crashes then recovers itself yes.

The security thing is because the guy from India worked for the Norton company and at the time there wasnt anything that I deemed too personal. I had him reinstall Norton but since then it seems to have occurred with greater frequency.
  4. msr

msr LE

So it's a browser reset rather than a re-boot.

Which browser do you use?
  5. ? Its Windows Vista and we use Internet Explorer?
  6. msr

msr LE

In the first instance, run malwarebytes:

Assuming you have Windows Update set to autoupdate, then try disabling Norton (right click on the icon in the taskbar) and see if the problem stops.

If so, then uninstall Norton and replace with Microsoft Security Essentials:

If not, then please post up the exact error messages you are seeing.

Which version of Norton are you using?

7. Have to wait until next week for that as my internet connection is down at the mo (am at work). But once its up and running I will show exact message. Just out of interest do you think it could be because of the Norton?
  8. msr

msr LE

You have to start eliminating variables one by one.

If your PC is up to date via Windows Update, then the antivirus is probably the next one to check.