Laptop Screen Flicker

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by carlbcfc, Jul 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just trying to locate the problem before I make a decision whether it is an insurance or local repair job on the laptop.

The screen, or what seems like the backlight flickers now and again, sometimes it just goes off/black. If we turn the laptop into stand-by, then on again, it works. So does that rule out a loose connection as it is not moved what so ever?

Anybody experienced this before? Samsung R510 (made like a bag of shite)

2. msr

msr LE

How old is it?

3. It could be the backlight / inverter packing up. A fairly easy test for the backlight is when the screen goes black, shine a torch at it to see if you can actually see the displayed image (it will still be hard to see). If you can see it with a torch shining directly at the screen then it is probably your backlight that is on its way out.

They can be a pretty easy fix on some laptops, some can be a bit more difficult.

4. It could just be a badly seated video card. Laptops can be hell to repair because everything's crammed in a small space, so to get at the video card/whatever you might need to remove other items. Unless you know what you're doing, get an expert to do it. A neighbour's 10 yr old geeky son, in exchange for a couple of computer games, is often the best option!

Some need laptops to carry around for work etc. But the above is a good reason not to buy one if avoidable. The screens are normally painfully small too. Why stare through a letter box?

5. It is around just under 2 years old I believe (actually the mrs's). Although the spec is decent, it really is a flimsy piece of shite. It has been in the repair shop twice before in that time.

Yes, I can see the screen in the background. This must be the backlight then?

6. If you can see the screen image when you point a torch at it then it is most likely a problem with the backlight failing. They can be a pain in the ass to fix so might be worth seeing what it would cost to get it fixed locally.

7. All of a sudden it is fine?

8. msr

msr LE

Dicky connection then. Make sure you have a tested (i.e. restored) backup of the data on it.

msr

9. Will do cheers.

I have one for you msr. I have this Western Digital Elements 500gb external, when I am downloading a torrent, or rapidshare/megaupload file, now and again I will encounter a 'cannot find the sector requested' error, and it will stop downloading. At first I thought it was a problem with the megaupload file, but then it happened with a torrent onto the same HD.

10. msr

msr LE

run chkdsk on it.

11. Thanks, I have scheduled that. I'll let you know how I get on.

12. Yes I am a laptop screen flicker.......red tube is my favouri...........aaaahhh have I got the wrong end of the stick here?

13. Keep an eye on it though, my old Fujitsu laptop had the same intermittent problem but it slowly got worse and worse until the backlight ultimately died completely.