Laptop Screen Flicker

Just trying to locate the problem before I make a decision whether it is an insurance or local repair job on the laptop.

The screen, or what seems like the backlight flickers now and again, sometimes it just goes off/black. If we turn the laptop into stand-by, then on again, it works. So does that rule out a loose connection as it is not moved what so ever?

Anybody experienced this before? Samsung R510 (made like a bag of shite)

How old is it?

It could be the backlight / inverter packing up. A fairly easy test for the backlight is when the screen goes black, shine a torch at it to see if you can actually see the displayed image (it will still be hard to see). If you can see it with a torch shining directly at the screen then it is probably your backlight that is on its way out.

They can be a pretty easy fix on some laptops, some can be a bit more difficult.

It could just be a badly seated video card. Laptops can be hell to repair because everything's crammed in a small space, so to get at the video card/whatever you might need to remove other items. Unless you know what you're doing, get an expert to do it. A neighbour's 10 yr old geeky son, in exchange for a couple of computer games, is often the best option!

Some need laptops to carry around for work etc. But the above is a good reason not to buy one if avoidable. The screens are normally painfully small too. Why stare through a letter box?

It is around just under 2 years old I believe (actually the mrs's). Although the spec is decent, it really is a flimsy piece of shite. It has been in the repair shop twice before in that time.

Yes, I can see the screen in the background. This must be the backlight then?

If you can see the screen image when you point a torch at it then it is most likely a problem with the backlight failing. They can be a pain in the ass to fix so might be worth seeing what it would cost to get it fixed locally.

Dicky connection then. Make sure you have a tested (i.e. restored) backup of the data on it.

msr

Will do cheers.

I have one for you msr. I have this Western Digital Elements 500gb external, when I am downloading a torrent, or rapidshare/megaupload file, now and again I will encounter a 'cannot find the sector requested' error, and it will stop downloading. At first I thought it was a problem with the megaupload file, but then it happened with a torrent onto the same HD.

run chkdsk on it.

Yes I am a laptop screen flicker.......red tube is my favouri...........aaaahhh have I got the wrong end of the stick here?