Laptop Running slow HELP

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by MuddyMettle, May 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All,

Can anyone help with a laptop running slow?

The laptop INFO,

Compaq OS XP HD 30Gb (16 Gb free) Processor 1.50 GHZ 504 MB of RAM

I know the RAM is not that high, but it was never running this slow?

When I go in to the task manger then processes at the bottom next to, CPU Usage it is going up and down from 7% to 97% is this right?

P.S Just going to look and try the Hoover trick
  2. A bit of TLC might also help. Try running both scandisk and defrag - house-keeping utilities which should help if you are in the habit of loading lots of applications, or movie downloads.

Start - all programs - accessories - system tools
  3. msr

msr LE

Which antivirus are you using and is it up to date?

4. Hi MSR

Was Norton now McAfee?

5. Quit noshing on your laptop! Or delete anti virus software and carry on noshing.
  6. msr

msr LE

7. Make sure you have fully uninstalled the anti-virus programme you don't want. Norton and McAfee don't like each other.
  8. My laptop is 3 years old and a program called tune up utilities (Linky) was recommended by a friend. It works wonders on my relic. It works faster than ever now.

Of course another "friend" also told me that its available at a low low price (free) on mininova :wink:
  9. Whenever anyone complains about a slow laptop, we always get advice about antivirus etc..

I haven't tried it, but thought this post/thread was A VERY REFRESHING CHANGE. :D

Should we make it a "STICKY"?
  10. msr

msr LE

But lacks any real evidence...

Now get back to your hoovering, love
  11. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

SIW - System Information for Windows

Download the SIW Standalone (english only) freeware. It provides great information on the system, and under the "Hardware" tab is a temperature reading for about every part of the computer.

seems that 55-60 C is the point at which the computer will shut down.
  12. What's this "hoovering" of which you speak?
    My butler mentioned the word when serving lunch.
  13. I meant, do you want me to suck out your "Lap[top]"
  14. For an explanation, demonstration, and confirmation, try this old but still valid link:,365.html

It's also a worrying criticism of 2001-vintage AMD processors...

There's a later article at:

Yes, there is plenty of evidence. If you don't believe me, read the first link.