Laptop Running slow HELP

Hi All,

Can anyone help with a laptop running slow?

The laptop INFO,

Compaq OS XP HD 30Gb (16 Gb free) Processor 1.50 GHZ 504 MB of RAM

I know the RAM is not that high, but it was never running this slow?

When I go in to the task manger then processes at the bottom next to, CPU Usage it is going up and down from 7% to 97% is this right?

Cheers
MM

P.S Just going to look and try the Hoover trick

A bit of TLC might also help. Try running both scandisk and defrag - house-keeping utilities which should help if you are in the habit of loading lots of applications, or movie downloads.

Start - all programs - accessories - system tools

Which antivirus are you using and is it up to date?

msr

My laptop is 3 years old and a program called tune up utilities (Linky) was recommended by a friend. It works wonders on my relic. It works faster than ever now.

Of course another "friend" also told me that its available at a low low price (free) on mininova :wink:

Whenever anyone complains about a slow laptop, we always get advice about antivirus etc..

I haven't tried it, but thought this post/thread was A VERY REFRESHING CHANGE. :D

Aunty Stella said:
As a bit of a follow up to a post made a few weeks ago, we had one of our laptops at work start to show the same symptoms that mine did previously and start to dramatically slow down if multiple apps were run and then just shut down for no apparent reason.

This particular laptop still had a service agreement on it though so off we took it to PC world.

They ran the normal AV, malware etc progs and found nothing. The geek at their "Tech Guys" bench did say from the off though "I bet it's overheating, bet the fan is filthy".

5 mins later he had whipped the keyboard off the HP laptop and showed me the fan and heatsink underneath and it was trully minging.

Vac'd it out, put it back together and it now runs like a dream.

Advice he gave to me was that once a month, with the laptop turned OFF, put a vac tube up against the cooling inlet and leave it there for a minute or so to reverse the fan and suck all of the shite out.

Prior to the cleaning the processor was running at 104 deg C if Word, Excel, IE and WMP were running at the same time (that was the easy test he did), after the clean out it was running at 42 deg C and as you know, heat in a processor = loss of processing power.

Just a bit of easy advice I thought I'd pass on as it makes a ridiculous difference, vac your laptop out once a month.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=122137/.html

Should we make it a "STICKY"?

bovvy said:
Whenever anyone complains about a slow laptop, we always get advice about antivirus etc..

I haven't tried it, but thought this post/thread was A VERY REFRESHING CHANGE. :D
But lacks any real evidence...

Now get back to your hoovering, love

SIW - System Information for Windows
http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

Download the SIW Standalone (english only) freeware. It provides great information on the system, and under the "Hardware" tab is a temperature reading for about every part of the computer.

seems that 55-60 C is the point at which the computer will shut down.

msr said:
What's this "hoovering" of which you speak?
My butler mentioned the word when serving lunch.

msr said:
bovvy said:

But lacks any real evidence...

For an explanation, demonstration, and confirmation, try this old but still valid link:

www.tomshardware.com/r...t,365.html

It's also a worrying criticism of 2001-vintage AMD processors...

There's a later article at:
www.tomshardware.com/r...695-3.html

Yes, there is plenty of evidence. If you don't believe me, read the first link.