Laptop repair

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Cpl_ripper, Nov 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Chaps, Anyone know of a recomended laptop repair company? This thing only boots when it feels like it..
  2. Twat it fella........ :)
  3. What are the symptoms?
  4. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

What he said. Besides which, some form of geographic location might help as well.

Heat syncs, PSUs and connections are all common causes of intermittent booting (ie not starting at all), but it depends on how far it gets each time.
  5. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

make model and age might help. does it beep show the makers logo/post screen or does it just not boot into windows?
  6. I'm in Ulan Bator using a ZX81 with 16k rampack. I use a Tandy tape recorder to load programs. Do you know of any one in the area with experience of these business machines? :)
  7. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Alan Sugar's and Clive Sinclair's personal email address will be forwarded to you shortly by PM.

Failing that, would you prefer their Tom-Tom rhythm beat ID?
  8. Boots into windows and runs fine and dandy. Shutdown then re start, It wont play ball. I don't know if Batterie issue of the laptop is a bag od shyte. Its a Hyrican MS660 running Win7.
  9. Maybe the User manual has fallen to the bottom of the skip...

10. Grumblegrunt

I get one reference to it being a clevo clone when I do a search a bit like gericom stuff. if you leave it for a while then it boots it might be a bios battery but most are rechargeable nowadays.

its not a win7 machine but a vista one which shouldnt make a difference but it could be a hardware drive clash or diffy hardware making awkward to boot.

first thing to try is boot into the bios and find the load optimum settings or default settings then see how it behaves, if it isnt completing the POST then its possible you have a diffy bit of kit so you can try taking the memory and dvd drive out, I have one which decides it isnt happy and its the dvd unit it doesnt like

next try a reinstall of win7 as an upgrade not a custom so you keep everything. also a defrag using a decent defragger and do a malware check while your at it incase something is trying to get online during boot up and crashing it.

you in uk or fritzville?
  11. In the UK mate. This bloody thing boots fine into windows and runs fine and dandy. Shut it down, attempt a cold re-start. A brief whirr of the fan, then nothing. It seems as it only like to boot when clap cold. Dunno if there's some kind of dry joint fail or it wished to return to Ze Germany...
  12. Grumblegrunt

sounds like a hardware issue if it wont do a warm start. when cold it does a POST check of everything attatched so it can tell windows about it, on a warm reboot (straight off and on) it doesnt do a full check so can get messed up if a component isnt happy.

if you dont mind taking covers off and unscrewing stuff then you can try taking the dvd out. keyboards on clevos lift out so you can get to the insides, the dvd will be held in by a screw or two.

if its not under warranty I'm happy to have a look for you, just cover postage and any bits used,unless you're anywhere near gloucester
  13. Thanks for that mate. A bloke is having a look at the weekend, If he fails I'll drop you a PM