Laptop Purchase

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by SPIDERMONKEY, Sep 7, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Excuse me if this is in the wrong forum, but I am looking for an Intelligent answer!!

Can anyone help?

I am looking to purchase a new or used laptop computer.

I am confused by all the jargon!

There are some things I will require:

1. A good operating system.

2. A CD/DVD rewriter.

3. Internet access, wireless if possible.

4. A good graphics card, and a good screen.

5. Good sound.

6. A carrying case.

7. Relevant leads.

8. Reasonable memory.

9. A fast processor.

Can anyone out there point me in the right direction?

I don't want to spend the earth, but if I have to use the steam driven computer at work any longer, it may just find its way onto the next APWT!

Since the powers that be will not provide I will haved to dig deep.

Help me!!

Thanks in advance.
  2. Google is your friend......
  3. Get yourself an Apple Powerbook. Outstanding for music and dvd's. They p1ss on equivalent pc's. You can get Microsoft Office for Mac's so you won't dip out with work stuff etc. Far superior to PC's however they are more expensive. Thats what I'm getting next anyway.
  4. Any recommended sites?

Have spent a lot of time on e-bay but this has just added to the confusion!!
  5. Try these.

Paun Computers (Stupid name i know)

0161 429 8855

(ring up and speak to mike)
  6. Never buy Dell, they are the worst brand on the market
  7. Been with Dell computers for nearly 4 years- desk and laptops and never had a problem.
  8. Have a look at Advent, you can the same fire power as the bigger names at a lower cost, for connection try Vodafone G3/GPRS card, reasonable tariffs and connection alot faster than old GPRS cards. Laptop with centrino means you can connect in hot spots too
  9. Depends what you want to do with it, you looking for portabillity, power, extra features, pretty colours?

Evesham (.com) look pretty good - just ordered one myself. I went with a 64bit AMD chip based machine as while there are some heat issues using a desktop chip they're still cooler than the P4's, and the 64bit tech will benefit you in a year or two down the line (get a graphics card that supports it too). Laptops are notorious for breaking at the wrong moment, with a life averaging 18 months or so I'm told - so a decent free warranty is fantastic.

Memory wise head for atleast 512Mb DDR. Wireless, DVD R/RW/Whatever, 10/100 (wired network) and IR connections are often standard.

OS wise XP is standard for PC's.

Mac's are a different kettle of fish, but it all depends what you want to be doing, if you're using windozzzzzz at work then prob best staying away.
  10. I run an IT department, it’s company policy to only use Dell.
    There are certain models which are riddled with faults, Dell are cheap and cheerful for a reason.
  11. Dell is good, Great customer support, decent turn around on duff kit. Stay away from PC world and any junk marked "patriot" worst IT company on the market . Decent secondhand stuff at Wouldn't touch any stuff from Ebay with a big stick.

I purchase all my IT equipment from this site, they give grate service and have a wide variety of products
  13. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru