Laptop Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by A_J_R, Apr 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Recently my Acer Aspire 5735 has started to play up. Whilst in use for a few minutes the screen goes blank, 5 seconds later it reboots and either give me flickering grid lines with random colouring or stays blank in an endless cycle of rebooting until I press and hold power button or pull the battery. Windows 7 is still active when the diplay is down as i have hdd and processor activity, it will then give me the option for safe mode etc upon start up.

I had the motherboard replaced last november after an Afghan summer tour and is now well outside of Curry's warranty.

What is the prognosis? Is it likely to be the graphics card or something I havent considered?

Cheers
    A_J_R

2. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

3. I read about a recent virus outbreak on Microsoft systems. If I recall correctly, the virus was diguised an a virus update. It causes a system to re-boot repeatedly, although I thought it only applied to the commercial version of the anti-virus. I'm not sure if that applies to your system. Usually if something like this happens, I just wipe out the system and start anew. Perhaps check your HD as well?

4. msr

msr LE

I think you mean this: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/22/mcafee_false_positive_analysis/

Solution here: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100969&cid=77223

Are you using McAfee antivirus?

msr

5. No msr using Avast.

Earlier had it stay up for about 20 mins. Updated everything and then it went black again. now everytime i turn on its not even starting up, fan starts lights come on then all stops again.

If i do get it to fire are there any performance logs it would be worth trying to have a look at?

Will look into getting it back into the shop and check the warranty.

Cheers all

A_J_R

6. msr

msr LE

To be honest it will have taken a hell of battering in Afghan. Could be a power issue, could be another dicky motherboard, sounds like a graphic driver problem....

Can you boot into safe mode? Does it stay alive?

msr

7. Does the screen go blank when you move the laptop?

Sounds like a hardware fault, possible bad connection on the inverter or graphics chip.

Google : "Acer Aspire 5735"+"Blank screen"+"Fault"

This should throw up any know faults.

8. Power issue, broken on/off switch and snapped usb socket fixed when Mb was replaced in Nov along with the sand being removed. It did get a battering but seemed to be fine after it had a fresh win 7 upgrade.

Updated graphics driver earlier but now no joy. Not getting backlight or any kind of picture, flickering now.

Hoping it is the Mb or the graphics which i believe is built into Mb.

Cheers
    A_J_R

9. msr

msr LE

Sounds like the backlight is on the blink (no pun intended). I think you might need a new laptop...

10. To save starting a new topic, my son has broken the charging socket on the side of his laptop. He only got it for christmas so it's still under guarantee. If the company refuse to fix it for free due to heavy handed sausage fingers pushing the plug in too hard. Does anybody have any idea of what i'm looking at price wise to get it fixed. All he's done is break the socket where it's fastened to the case, the socket itself is undamaged.

11. Strangely the guy booking it in wrote "some scratches" and the engineer report states "very dusty". I didnt say it had been out of the country but didnt seem too bothered with how i had treated it.

12. Try pluging an external monitor into the laptop, that will prove if it's a problem with the LT screen.

13. Swapped out memory and wiggled connections, now seems to be fine (fingers crossed). Online it seems that this problem is caused by alot of different things but memory seems to be the biggest culprit along with power issues.

Can anyone tell me the best way to stress/test the different parts of my system to check that the problem has gone?

Cheers all

A_J_R

14. msr

msr LE

http://www.memtest.org will test the memory