Laptop Problem (Screen)

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by PRC-349, Aug 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. One for any of the PC Wizzes here: My laptop (Advent 5401) has stopped displaying anything except for a black screen when powered up that turnes grey which sometimes then splits into White and Grey.

Any ideas what the problem is and if i can do a DIY repair, if not I'll have to shell out for it to be fixed

Cheers

PRC

2. my guess would be graphics card problem .

overheating can cause it and i am sure i read of need to clean dusty fluffy internals somewhere --i will try find it for you

3. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

I'd suggest that either the LCD or the backlight has gone. Have you tried it with an external monitor?

On the basis that it is now probably worth roughly £100, a new laptop might be more economical if you
    can find the budget for it.

4. Not yet but i will give that a try gremlin, if not I'll see what else can be done and aye I think a new laptop would probably be cheaper, just need to transfer all the music and gubbins off the other one.

Cheers fellas

5. Plug a monitor into the VGA port and see if you get anything usable from it (Though be advised just because you don't this does not mean it is the motherboard as some VGA ports are not activated until explicitly told to by the OS.

To be honest, in cases where there is graphics/motherboard faults, 9 times out of 10 it's a replacement job as repairing them can be as expensive as purchasing a new one unless it is a reeeeeaally expensive laptop.

I would recommend staying away from Advent in the future as they are a sort of bargain basement hardware supplier. All they do for the most part is take other peoples hardware and rebrand them as their own selling them on cheaper and often with much less support (Case in point your 5401 is a rebranded Quanta TW7).

6. Cheers Soldier.a would you have any particular reccommendations in regards to a suitable replacement that isn't going to break the bank? bearing in mind I'm currently on JSA (groan)

7. Anything from Dell or Toshiba. particularly Toshiba's and their Satellite range. They are built like tanks.

8. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

That shouldn't be a problem. In the worst case scenario you could buy a 3.5" HD caddy from Maplin for about £15 and use it as an external hard drive after you have taken it out of your old laptop and trf'd the files across.

9. On same basis, like a knob I picked up my open laptop by the screen and its broken the LCD crystal - screen completely unusuable. Can this be repaired, if so rough cost. its 3 years old so would rather not have to buy a new one however realsie it may be necessary - cheers in advance

10. msr

msr LE

It can't be repaired - only replaced, get a couple of quotes. If it is 3 years old, I suspect you will be better off putting the money towards a new one.

msr

11. Google how to take the screen out, find the model number/FRU the hit ebay.
    Screens are dead simple to replace or upgrade.
    It might be cheaper to buy a spares or repair laptop of the same model compared to buying a new screen.

12. Well had a look and I think I'm going to invest in a decent, more robust laptop with adequete ventilation and what not. Probably looking at about £500 - £600 when and IF I get onto Phase 1. Untill then going to have to blag this one

13. msr

msr LE

Test it with an external monitor - that will let you know if it is the graphics card.

msr

14. I can tell you're TA. The SOP is to make sure it's on your kit insurance then launch it down the stairs before claiming for both it and the 52" flatscreen it went through at the bottom.