Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laptop outlet: Faulty laptop

Laptop Outlet Limited, I don't know if anyone has any experiance with this company but I've just filed a court claim for recovering the full sum of my laptop.

The laptop itself was only lightly used and sold as a refurbished laptop model with a 1 year warranty with themselves back in September.

As said have filed a court claim for recovering the full sum of my laptop after the following

a) It developed a "fault" after inserting the ac port into the dc jack and the port completely removed the insides without any "excessive force", it's my fault apparently and is "damage" not covered under warranty
b) The product was recalled by Amazon in Jan as "unsafe for use" and advised to contact them for a refund
c) Refused to even inspect the laptop after being sent in photos

Under their terms

"Laptop warranties will cover hardware problems that were not caused by the owner, such as defective keyboards, monitor problems, modem or other issues with internal components. The laptop warranty generally covers the parts and labour for repairs. A laptop warranty will also spell out what actions on your part will void the warranty - opening the case and breaking a seal can be enough to void a warranty.

Damage to or loss of data is not covered by a laptop warranty. A laptop warranty states clearly that any problems associated with software – whether bundled or installed by you, it will not be covered under the laptop warranty. The warranty does not cover theft, damage or breakage caused by the owner in a laptop warranty."

After advising I would be refusing to take it a 3rd party because that would void any warranty altogether and checking the HP service tag "product sold without warranty".

The laptop itself was only lightly used and sold as a refurbished laptop model with a 1 year warranty with themselves back in September.

I did point out the model has been recalled itself

Product Recall - Important Information About Your Amazon.co.uk Order xxx Hello, We've received information from the manufacturer, HP, that the HP Pavilion x360 15-bk150sa 15.6" Laptop Intel Core i3- 7100U 2.4 GHz Processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 - Z9D30EA#ABU, purchased in your Amazon.co.uk order #xxx, may be unsafe for use due to potential risk of fire and burns. More details on which units are affected and what you should do can be found in the following notification: https://batteryprogram687.ext.hp.com /en-GB/Home/ProgramSummary If you purchased this item for someone else, please notify the recipient immediately and provide them with this information. We're sorry for the inconvenience caused and hope to see you again soon. Regards, Customer Service Department Amazon.co.uk

After informing them of this even if it was fixed at personal cost it is "unfit for use"...

Basically did all I could to communicate reasonably but the decision stands "its your problem now..."

Last edited:

Dark_Nit

LE
Book Reviewer
Your warranty would appear to be with Laptop Outlet rather than HP.

However, if the machine is faulty then they have to honour their warranty. If they have sold goods which are unfit for service and have been recalled by the manufacturer than you have a case for a refund or equivalent replacement. If the disagreement is over whether it is damage or a machine failure then you may end up in small claims court.

You could have registered the machine with HP after purchase and they might help you out.

Regardless, I would contact HP directly and give them the story saying that the reseller (who would have to be HP approved IIRC) are arrsing you around and that you have a laptop which has been recalled by HP and is a fire risk etc etc.

However, if the machine is faulty then they have to honour their warranty. If they have sold goods which are unfit for service and have been recalled by the manufacturer than you have a case for a refund or equivalent replacement. If the disagreement is over whether it is damage or a machine failure then you may end up in small claims court.

You could have registered the machine with HP after purchase and they might help you out.

Regardless, I would contact HP directly and give them the story saying that the reseller (who would have to be HP approved IIRC) are arrsing you around and that you have a laptop which has been recalled by HP and is a fire risk etc etc.
Had the misfortune of working for HP a few years ago ( the computer ones, not the tasty breakfast sauce) and iirc the manufacturers warranty only kicked in after the retail period, which is obviously now, im sure there was something like 5 years warranty but I could be talking shite

All pointed out, lodged a claim, mind you now I've added legal costs which were reasonable for the purpose of a solicitor arc so I'll have to wait until 30th now.

Bit of a shame as the laptop was a nice piece of kit and it was for the missus whom intended to use it for work as well as personal.

I like my overly pimped gaming rigs

If a CCJ is registered against their company with the legal costs I've added I can pass it onto a bailiff anyway if the case goes in my favour, the fact it's a recalled product for safety reasons is in black and white

Court's the best bet I'm afraid. I used to sell IT and the only reason they honoured their warranties was that we could threaten to pull tens of thousands worth of business from them. There's a whole group of companies; appliances direct etc. All operate the same way.

Or, if you know someone who works for an IT reseller, you could have them ask for a quote for say, 80-odd laptops then say "Forget it, the end user bough a laptop from you and you shafted him on the warranty". You can bet that the guy who's already counting his commission will fight to sort you out.

Court's the best bet I'm afraid. I used to sell IT and the only reason they honoured their warranties was that we could threaten to pull tens of thousands worth of business from them. There's a whole group of companies; appliances direct etc. All operate the same way.

Or, if you know someone who works for an IT reseller, you could have them ask for a quote for say, 80-odd laptops then say "Forget it, the end user bough a laptop from you and you shafted him on the warranty". You can bet that the guy who's already counting his commission will fight to sort you out.

The fact is added £150 ommunicating regarding faulty product/potential dangerous/return of item product recalled and this has been ongoing, I wouldn't say unreasonable given the period of time spent engaging in the constant wafflng, time is money, and another £150 is legal costs, whether the court would allow this is another matter, but the main matter is getting my money back what I paid.

I'll update this thread when I get notifications regarding the case with laptop outlet in case anyone else is in a similar stew with regards to a similar case such as an apppliance, especially the fact regarding a product recall.

Latest Threads