Laptop motherboard needed

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by acp290885, Jan 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok, I've been looking for a cheap one online for a while now. I have an old work laptop, HP NC6000, it stopped working months ago. When you push the power button the lights come on and the fan starts up, then it all dies a couple of seconds later. I don't want to spend too much on a new motherboard, as I could just as easily get a replacement laptop for not much more. I'm looking at spending around £40/£50.

All the working ones that I've seen on eBay have been going for more than I want to spend.

Does anyone have a source for a cheap, working NC6000 motherboard? If not then I'll fork out for a new laptop, I was just hoping to save this one for a lot less.

acp

2. I´d just buy a new one mate.

3. Yeah, that's what I thought c_f, but I'm looking at becoming a student again so I'm already getting into tight-fisted skinflint mode.

Thanks

5. acp, by bcomeing a studen again, is tehre any option in cheap help, or as mentioned above. the Uni techs are often helpful.

Problem with fitting a board, you´ll have to source it, fit it and then run the computer.

With no warrenty AT ALL.

Even the purchase of a cheap rebuild will give you a warrenty.

6. Well technically it's not really mine, work have just forgotten that I've had it for the past 4 years. I'm not at Uni yet, I'm planning on going this year if they'll accept me. I was going to be buying a new laptop before going to Uni anyway, I just wanted to see if I could repair this one before then.

Thanks for the replies.

7. acp,

My brother had an HP laptop that fried its motherboard. Apparently, it's not that uncommon with HP and while you could replace it you might not remove the original fault and you could end up frying the new motherboard as well. I tried for ages to buy a replacement MB from eBay etc and in the end I gave up.

If you're going to be a student you might want to look at the quite reasonable student discounts (aka educational discounts) that are out there.

8. buy it now in your price range

9. How do u know the main board is faulty?

I have similar probs with advent/emachines, turns out the RAM HDD or CPU may have a dirty connection, remove them clean them up and replace, also the power jack socket are prone to dirt also.

Give it a whirl

10. msr

msr LE

Bite the bullet and buy a new one.

You are going to be relying on it for your assignments and the last thing you want to be doing 24hrs before the deadline is to be fannying around with a dead computer.

msr

11. Yep, msr is correct, they should be cheap this time of year.

12. Thanks for the replies guys, looks like I'll have to spend some dosh and get myself a new one.

acp

13. Only the badge, like General Motors, Vauxhall, Opel, the case may be nicer but the contents are the same.