Laptop keyboard help..

At the weekend,Muggins here suceeded in spilling some beer over my laptop keyboard.I tried to wipe it up but new some of the keys dont work properly.I also ended up re-formatting the HD drive,how I dont know as I was pished...
Any advice chaps,
Spike

I know it sounds silly, but it works perfectly with PC Keyboards, so the principal should work the same even with a laptop. Just place it in a warm place (like an airig cupboard, face down (ie. Keyboard face down) and leave it to dry for a week.

PC Format actually ran an article a few months ago where they completely washed a keyboard in warm water and left it to dry for 2 weeks and it worked perfectly.

IT_GEEK said:
I know it sounds silly, but it works perfectly with PC Keyboards, so the principal should work the same even with a laptop. Just place it in a warm place (like an airig cupboard, face down (ie. Keyboard face down) and leave it to dry for a week.

PC Format actually ran an article a few months ago where they completely washed a keyboard in warm water and left it to dry for 2 weeks and it worked perfectly.
The main difference being that there are no electronics in a keyboard, just switches. I wouldn't recommend this method for a laptop.

Or did IT_GEEK forget to suggest removing the keyboard first?

(The keyboard would have to be rinsed with clean water to remove the icky stuff).

Coffee eh?? Really??

Try clingfilm over your keyboard when banging one out, problem solved ;)

My wife did this once, trying to clean the keyboard with a nearly full glass of water (I think it was an accident) - the j and k keys haven't worked since. Tried the airing cupboard trick but I am of the firm belief it's well and truly fecked. As Chumley- Warner said, 'women and technology don't mix!'.

If keyboard is fcuked try using xp on-screen keyboard!!!!!!!!!!!

An on-screen keyboard is built into Windows XP. It can be useful if you have mobility impairments, if you are using a tablet PC, or if your keyboard breaks down unexpectedly.

To access the on-screen keyboard:

Go to Start, then click Run, and then type osk.
Now the keyboard opens on your computer screen, featuring three typing modes you can use to type data:

Clicking mode, where you click the on-screen keys.
Scanning mode, where you press a hot key or use a switch-input device to type highlighted characters.

Hovering mode, where you use a mouse or joystick to point to a key, which is then typed.
To make a shortcut icon on your desktop to the on-screen keyboard:

Right-click the desktop and choose New, then Shortcut.
Type osk, click Next.
Type a name for the shortcut, and then click Finish.

OR

go to Start, Programs, Accessories, Accessibility to find the "On-Screen Keyboard" utility (osk.exe). The figureshows an example of the keyboard.

I recently hoovered up one of my keys on my new Dell laptop - not very clever I know.

After dozens of calls and hours of Google searches I got my answer - buy a new keyboard. Sounds mad to but a whole new keyboard for just one key but that is the official line.

Use UK stockists for genuine keyboards for about £50-60 each or EBay for genuine US Keyboards for about $15.

Alternatively, try soaking the keyboard in 4-5" of warm soapy water.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
jaybee2786 said:
If keyboard is fcuked try using xp on-screen keyboard!!!!!!!!!!!

An on-screen keyboard is built into Windows XP. It can be useful if you have mobility impairments, if you are using a tablet PC, or if your keyboard breaks down unexpectedly.

To access the on-screen keyboard:

Go to Start, then click Run, and then type osk.
Now the keyboard opens on your computer screen, featuring three typing modes you can use to type data:

Clicking mode, where you click the on-screen keys.
Scanning mode, where you press a hot key or use a switch-input device to type highlighted characters.

Hovering mode, where you use a mouse or joystick to point to a key, which is then typed.
To make a shortcut icon on your desktop to the on-screen keyboard:

Right-click the desktop and choose New, then Shortcut.
Type osk, click Next.
Type a name for the shortcut, and then click Finish.

OR

go to Start, Programs, Accessories, Accessibility to find the "On-Screen Keyboard" utility (osk.exe). The figureshows an example of the keyboard.
How, if the keyboard is knackered, do you type 'osk'? or am I missing something obvious?

Or you could connect a normal PC keyboard to the laptop. eniM smees ot krow enif.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
chrisg46 Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets 6
Wynter Classified Ads 13
Mighty_doh_nut Classified Ads 0