Laptop graphics playing up

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by joey_deacons_lad, Oct 2, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Lately on some of my new games I have been getting a glitch in graphics like in the pic shown, previously I was able to run a lot of games without trouble and am suspecting it may have been an update to my drivers that have caused it. If anyone has any advice id be most grateful my graphics card is an ATI Radeon 4500/5100

Attached Files:

2. One of mine did that a few years ago, turned out it had reached the end of its life & the newer, more demanding games I was hammering it with were causing it to overheat & produce anomalies like in your screenshot. Eventually it was doing it all the time & had to be replaced. Can you get into the laptop at all? I blast the inside of my PC out with compressed air every few months, right round all the circuit boards & fans, usually a huge cloud of dust blows out which can cause overheating if left to build up

3. If you'd just updated drivers, then it would probably be that. Was it fine before the update? Can you rollback? Graphics card being end of life is possible, but you would usually expect to see a drop in refresh rate/juddering if that was the case

4. Artifacts, happened to mine when world of warcraft was played for lengthy periods. Laptops are a sod, overheat very easily. You could reseat the gpu heatsink with some fresh thermal paste but its probably goosed already. Always always always rely on a desktop for games.

5. Im certain it was after an update, games run fine framerate wise, its just the visuals thats the problem, am looking around to see if i can roll them back but struglging. If anyone has an idiots guide id be most grateful

6. Ignore the chat about drivers - Your Radeon is nearing the end of its life. Some of its capacity has been reduced most likely due to burnout. Excuse for a spanking new one to run your games on methinks.

7. Never mind fixed it with rolling back the driver

8. Bollocks, if something stops working properly - then undo the most recent related thing you did. Plus - driver rollback, 5 minutes tops, replace graphics card X money and Y time.

I've been doing this shit too long