Laptop for sandy places

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Goku, May 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I’m looking to purchase a laptop for use on tour.

It would need to be something rugged enough to survive the dusty environment. I’d only need something basic for a bit of IM/web browsing/gaming.

The search function has brought up other threads on this subject but technology moves on quickly…

Can anyone give me any recommendations?

2. I'd buy yourself a £200 netbook to be honest. It'll get fecked and full of Afghan 10% excrement dust but it'll be cheap and disposable at the end of tour.
  3. morgan computers are doing refurbed thinkpads for £220
    built as tough as tough things will probably still get fucked might last slightly long.
  4. The BBC issue their reporters with Panasonic Toughbooks. More costly than an ordinary laptop with a similar spec but supposedly sealed against dust, sand, diarrhoea, vomit and the nasty discharge you'll get after molesting a camel.

They do look a bit strange though - metal case with telescopic antenna so you'll probably get shot for being a spy.
  5. Get an Argos warranty for like 50 quid then bin it when u get back happy days you get your money back and the laptop cost you only 50 quid for 6 months and you ain't stuck with a piece of crap.
  6. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

durabooks are mil spec so up to a fair bit of knocking, I've had them for a decade and lil bro has done two tours with his.

ergo and hi-grade do models in the uk but you can get them pretty much anywhere, I buy mine broken from the states or canada and fix them if they need it.

it depends on what you want to do with it really.
  7. Attached Files:

8. I don't sell them, you'll have to fund out for yourself - click the link you lazy mug. :)
  9. 'Tis a spammer, a reported and soon-to-be-gone one. See the poxy little link in its filthy little sig block? See its shifty little eyes and poofy, floppy hair? Not to worry, the CO will ride up presently on his cyber-charger, run it to earth with his pack of virtual hounds, and tear it electron from electron.
  10. John Galt of ambit energy the spamming fool.
    Should of guessed from his shady profile pic!
    Looks a bit lardier in this one though doesn't he? :)

Attached Files:

11. That curl, urgh! Tear it out by the roots and fling it in his vapid little 'face'! Tear it out! Fling it! Fling!
  12. I heard that Ambit Energy financed the September 11th attacks.
  13. I reckon he was part of it somehow. He's got that desperate, haunted look of an international ring leader type.
    And they spent all that time sniffing round the Hindu Kush for bin liner when the money man Charlie Chester was right under their noses!!