laptop dj midi controller

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by skid2, Jan 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

OK Brain picking time again. I'm looking a dj midi contoller to run through a laptop, windows pc.
    Music comes off an external hard drive. I did do the external sound card (creative zen) powerd usb hub to feed them and the CPU was still running like a bastard. The laptop is an elderly beefed up Dell which has been uprated as far as it it will go. It's running vista.
    The thinking is that a midi controller, especially with a soundcard would put less stress on the output of the laptop. Yes. ? No.?
    Yes I've searched. Yes I've googled and no Im not interested in beats and dubs or garage (unless it's got Matchless bits in it)
    As usual I don't wish to spend much money, so second hand is more than acceptable

Any bulletproof recommendations? (figuratively)
  2. DJ midi, so not and mpd or something like that ?

What about novation nocturn ? Novation Nocturn

Im a keyboards and home recording type myself.
  3. Damn my cover is blown :p
  4. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Thank you nanotm, they are indeed, the problem is what's good and what's not.
    What I'm looking for is something portable, tough and idiotproof, with a built in soundcard. If it needs external powered that's fine too.
    If it's old and I can pick one up second hand even better.

These things are a complete mystery to me and thanks polar 69 I'd never even heard of this one.
  5. Native instruments Traktor Pro - all you'll ever need. awesome bit of kit.
  6. personally speaking my knowledge is limited to knowing thye exist and a rough idea of how such things work, but typing the name of any product into google followed by the word reviews generally enables you to find out quite a lot about them dj mixer console for laptop: Electronics & Photo

alternativly jumping ot a vendor sight that offers reviews for items brings up other slightly higher cost options but with good /bad reviews of them so perhaps a better option
  7. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Been all over it like a tramp on chips. According to the revioews everything is wonderful, apart from Numark which seems to get a kicking fairly regularly it looks like Traktor or Vestax.
  8. Serato is another one to consider - traktor's main competition.