Laptop battery

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by HEART_STOPPER, Jun 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all I'm after a little help, when i've plugged in my laptop the little battery icon now says "plugged in, not charging"
    What have I done?
    And how do I get the battery to recharge again please.
  2. Wah shield on. Your battery is fully charged, to get it to recharge unplug from the mains and run it down. Wah shield off.
  3. wedge_cadman

wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

If you're running vista it's likely the battery is charging and the power management software is corrupt. You could try this;

In order to correct the problem, you will need to uninstall and reinstall the power management software by using the Device Manager.

In order to correct problems with the battery's power management software, follow the steps below.

1.Click Start and type device in the search field, then select Device Manager.

2.Expand the Batteries category.

3.Under the Batteries category, right-click the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listing, and select Uninstall .

WARNING: Do not remove the Microsoft AC Adapter driver or any other ACPI compliant driver.

4.On the Device Manager taskbar, click Scan for hardware changes.

Alternately, select Action > Scan for hardware changes.

Windows will scan your computer for hardware that doesn't have drivers installed, and will install the drivers needed to manage your battery's power. The notebook should now indicate that the battery is charging.

This is for Vista so not sure if it's the same for any other operating system. In theory it should be.
  4. This happened to my case it was because the lock that holds the battery secure in the laptop wasn't engaged properly. Just make sure it is fully locked and it should start charging again.
  5. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

sometimes the software sticks but most hardware has a different coloured led when charging to when its full. a reboot usually sorts it out.

you should cycle the battery when you can though to keep them fit but they will reduce in capacity over time. the laptop bios sometimes will have a calibration setting which will charge-discharge-charge and it does help the battery. if not then spend a day running it down and charging it up a couple of times.
  6. Guzz no wah mate
    20 first thing I checked
    Wedge I've followed your tips and rebooted and now nothing same as before and the little led light is flashing red not blue like it was, is the battery dead? It's a dell inspiron laptop.
  7. msr

msr LE

Unplug the mains adapter and see how long it lasts.

8. wedge_cadman

wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

I think you'll find that the software now works and a flashing red light means your battery is dead/ drained. If it's seated correctly then it could be dead. Does it work unplugged?
    The dell website has a forum with a knowledge base. You'll probably find a better response than my limited response.
  9. I recall something similar a while back.

Resolved by closing down, remove battery, press and hold the power button for 60 secs, re-assemble and carry on. Hope this is helpful.