Laptop - around £1000 budget - not interested in gaming

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Interceptor, Jan 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Help needed. An old friend (serving) has asked for my advice buying a laptop. His isn't that technically savvy, but he is a grown up and needs the laptop to run office productivity software and watch the odd movie. He wants to run Windows and there's no debate on that, apparently. Also, no gaming.

His wishlist includes:

17 inch widescreen
    Able to watch movies
    Cope with Windows Vista
    Store a good chunk of photo, music, other files.

I run Apple computers at home so I'm a little out of touch with what's on offer out there. I was looking at Dell last night and a well-speced Studio 17 seemed like a real bargin. The XPS 17xx on the other hand were mighty pricey.

I'm not really after a geeky tech debate on which graphics card he should be using. Just sensible advice based on your own experience.

Budget around a grand, but would happily go £250 either way if persuaded.
  2. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

They all seem to be much of a muchness, I guess general advice would be

Stick to the big names like Acer, Toshiba, Dell and HP
    Buy a couple of magazines and read their latest reviews
  3. I see your point, but these magazines are usually written by uber-geeks. I'm after a real-world perspective from someone who has a 17' laptop that cost between £750 and 1250!
  4. I just got a 15.4" beaut from Novatech ( very happy with it so far!

They have the X60 MV 17" which is decent, check them out...
  5. I'm a mac user, but I've heard good things about the portable Dell Workstation from friends.

Not sure about cost, etc, but I'd have thought any 17" lappy would be aimed at IT/design professionals, so pretty expensive.
  6. I've got a HP pavillion 'entertainment' but with a 15 inch widescreen. It has a big memory (100gb), a 5 in 1 card reader, remote control (for movie viewing), built in camera and mic and came Vista compatible (although I don't run it).

Excellent machine that I have owned for 2 years. They make a 17 inch version and it sells for around 600 quid. Bought mine from PC world and got a couple of things thrown in like laptop bag.

Edited to add link:
  7. Sony visio anything for 1000 will be ok except its full of visio software.

Mes 2 years old but had HD and lots of stuff then , now comes with blu ray as well.

However create a backup disc and your away. Ever have any problems with trojans,virus slip in the old backup nad back to normal.
  8. msr

msr LE

9. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Get a 17" wide screen - Dell have some nice specials on atm.
  10. dell xps are solid and reliable
  11. I have DELL VOSTRO 1700 WITH A 2.2 CPU AND 4MB L2 CACHE, running with xp pro, and has two seperate hard drives which is great for back its 6 or 7 months old now and cost me then £600 the new vostro 1710 looks better and is cheaper now. No need to spend £1000 on a laptop unless it for gaming or your going to work it hard and need a higher spec.
  12. Believe it or not, tesco have some really good deals on at the moment with their reductions. I just bough one at a slightly lower spec for my son for £350 but the nearest I could find one with same spec was nearly £70 more and i looked everywhere. Check this one out, does everything he needs and more for £699.
  13. Good advice. Thanks.
  14. Based on what you have said there is no need to spend anywhere near £1000 for a laptop as has been said.

Dell XPS are good machines but they are considerably more than your mate needs and he will pay for it!

Heres a few I have found from sites I use. I'm not saying they are the best around but they should me more than capable of doing whats needed and 25-50% cheaper (ish). (just a couple, quite a few others) : £568 : £586

Dell : First is fairly basic but capable, others are all OK.

Dell XPS !! :

Cheapest with 17" screen £1,299! Has reasonably high end process and graphics, neither of which are really going to be utilised for general file work and watching DVDs.

Ive never been a fan of XPS to be honest though. They took overe mantle of Alienware (which was bought out by Dell if I remember correctly) and stuck with the same overpricing regime. Even if that was what was you can get the same, or better, for less £ elsewhere.