Lappy problems

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Joker62, May 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm not able to get into any of my browsers due a Win 7 security message cropping up telling me to register, now this is full of spelling mistakes and is worrying me, any advice? I'm running McAfee which has registered no problems on a scan.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
  2. sent you a pm mate

Sorry I was not able to help more hope you get it sorted
  3. lots of virus out there that do that, dont get any credit card info
  4. Sounds more like malware/scareware rather than a virus. Also, McAfee is rubbish. Try restarting the computer in Safe Mode With Networking, and see if you can get online. If so, download and run malwarebytes anti-malware.
  5. que some **** saying "get a MAC, it just works". Well, there are viruses out there for MACs, so they don't just work.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. msr

msr LE

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tried safe mode with networking, same thing. Have now taken it in for a clean up, all valuable data had already been saved to an external hard drive. Cheers for all the help, will download Avast when I get it back later.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
  8. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

In 7 you can set the security from the control panel... be careful, but put all security as low as possible and work upwards.
  9. Definately good advice, I followed it last time you advised the same. Since using Avast I haven`t had any issues with malware/viruses. I also ran Emsisoft at the time, from a flash stick, which found shedloads of nasties on my PC. Many thanks :)
  10. Another blinding advert for the incredibly crap and over priced (i.e. not free) Mcafee.
  11. AVG free version from Grisoft used to be pretty good, I seem to remember. Don't know it it's still available for free though - I use one of those other laptops now, one of the ones that 'just works' (ducks for cover)...

I also have an antivirus package on my Mac
  12. msr

msr LE

13. It is scareware - I've had the same one, usually uses something with WIN 7 in it. BEFORE you run Malware, I used spybot search and destory - GO in to you files and make them "Un-hidden". It seems to put itself in to one of your files, then hides all your files. that way when the anti virus scans all the files, it finds nothing. Also after that try AVG free anti virus, it's good.

Also, it hid all my files and then 3 days later blocked the internet, it does that so you can't access forums to find out it's a crock of crap and malware.
  14. AVG was good up to v7.5, then it went to ratshit on v8.0.
  15. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

I've just had to do this for a panicky old woman up the road, its scareware and not a virus, the aim is to get to you to stump up cash for something which doesnt work. there will be lots of recomended removal tools which also want you to pay.

1st download spybot search and destroy which is free, update and run it a couple of times. it should remove the offending bits of software buried away in windows it also adds blocking codes to ie to prevent this sort of exploit. its probably the best and simplest solution to the problem.

The home of Spybot-S&D!

Malwarebytes antimalware is also free and good for removals

Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware, anti-virus and spyware removal download

if you are worried about virus and want to be sure that you antivirus is working then download stinger. which is purely a scan and remove tool.

How to Use Stinger | McAfee Free Tools

you cant stop them getting to you eventually but look for adblocking software which is free and runs within the browser such as adblock, another tool is HostsXpert which adds entries to the windows hosts file which is used by all browsers to decide which site to definately not visit. it cant usually be altered by the average user but hostsxpert allows you to add your own entries if anything really irritates you.

iobit 360 works and again is free but does nag you everytime it wants updating.

the problem with the browsers are just the software protecting itself and they usually stop the antivirus working unless you click on it a few times to get it going. this sort of thing is well written and you can generally only get at it by going deep into windows and removing files. fortunately the above removers do that for you.