Lanyard

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by suits_U, Aug 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How do folks,

Im hoping that someone could tell me the origins of the lanyard the CRE wear. What is the correct way to wear it, who can wear it blah blah blah.

No im not a modern walt re-enactor or owt like that. I recently visited a cadet unit who are very proud to be badged RE (so they should be :D )
    and they want to do things properly. They arent in contact with any regular units or even a TA unit and so are a bit of a loss as to the ways of the RE world.
    Cheers in advance :)

2. We don't wear them any more, on account of the lack of epaulettes to wear them under other than in No2 Dress.

3. Fair comment, but in the case of the ACF they still wear lightweights and OG shirt sometimes.
    Were they correct wearing it on the right?

4. On the right shoulder is correct, I was proud to wear mine and it is the only original issue item of kit that I still have. With not one twist in it, either.

A great deal of dropshort baiting was derived from it as well.

5. No more lanyard???
    What the hell do you do in basic if you dont have a lanyard parade?

As for origins.
    Awarded to the CRE after the dropshorts abandoned their guns in the Crimea (? I think). Engineers tookover the guns and defeated the enemy attack as a result the were awarded the dropshort lanyard and I believe that they had to wear a white one in its place as a mark of cowardice.

6. Oh dear, here we go again .................

To save time and a lot of regurgitation just go here:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=5973.html

7. NEVER LET THE TRUTH GET IN THE WAY OF A GOOD STORY. 8) 8) 8) 8)

my mates son is off to become a "gun bummy (sorry bunny)" next month & has been told already to ask his trg staff about it. tried endlessly to push him toward the corps but he originally wanted to be a proper tankie, hi loss at the end of the day.

8. With an offspring heading for the Dropshorts I assume he will now either be an ex mate or have disowned his son? :lol: :lol:

9. it gets worse his old man is a "rock ape" 8O 8O 8O 8O

10. Well, I guess that is evolution (of a sort) for you

Give them a few more generations and they may yet develop into engineers

11. never thought about it like that fella, good call. so in ten to twelve generations they may be ready to be sappers :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

12. Are you saying that my Troop staffy lied to me?
    Never!!
    Shall we do the rag and oil cap badge and the wrong sized cannon balls now?

13. Cheers for te response, I've been hearing the story of the gunners legging/ white lanyard stuff for ages but wondered if it was just a myth.
    Tis a good story though. :)

14. I was told that the lanyard was in recognition of the Engineers saving the guns from capture by pulling them to safety with ropes (hence the lanyard, being like a rope) No mention of them winning the battle by using the guns, or the Artillery deserting them, the guns were just in danger of being over-run, thats all.

Cheers Easy.

15. Ignore Gunner propaganda and their subversives on this board.... its for manning those damn guns :)

(crawls back into his fire trench and waits out !!!)