Languages... Which one?

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by PotentialOPMI, Aug 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all.
    I recently took my BARB test, I achieved 80 which the recruiter said was a good score. Once he uploaded all of my information into the job selector the OPMI wasn't available as I got a D in my GCSE English Language at school. Now he is going to find out whether my communication key skills is recognised by the int corps as a GCSE equivalent. If not I am going to enrol at college and re do my English Language GCSE as an OPMI is what I really want to do. Now I was thinking if I re do my English GCSE, Do you think it's worth me doing a Language aswell? i.e french etc etc. If so what language?

Any thoughts?
  2. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Given that the next places to kick off will probably by Iran and/or the Korean Peninsula: Pashto/Dari and Korean.

Bet your local college don't offer them at GCSE.
  3. Fair point.. Do you think it's worth while me doing a GCSE in a language like german? or not bother?
  4. Spanish would be a good bet.. argies could decide to try the falklands again? Language of choice for all of those s. americano drug lords who will eventually end up getting a kicking, also very useful if you get an attachment to the septics, on my attach a large number of the u.s. guys were of latino origin,....... and dont forget it gives you the edge in ibiza when trying to nail the locals, who normally only drop em for non gringos!!!!!!
  5. Learn French, after all there are parts of Africa that should be entered just for the sheer fun of it
  6. Concentrate on getting your English up to scratch, rather than taking on another language. If you want to become a Military Intelligence Linguist, you will find that it is easier to learn a foreign language if you have a better understanding of English grammar.
  7. Learn geordie, will help no ends with parts of the RRF.
  8. This is absolutely correct. In 1989 we had to spend a couple of weeks teaching folk what verbs, nouns, adjectives, adverbs and the like were in English before we had a hope of teaching them Russian, I shudder to think what it's like now. Of course, if you've done Greek and Latin at school (and who hasn't?), it's very much easier.
  9. After going to my local college it turns out they don't even offer a foreign languages course whatsoever.. English it is then ;)
  10. Not much changes-the basics of English Grammar is still taught at DSL-though not in sufficient detail in my humble opinion. I am heartened to see that Latin is enjoying something of a resurgence in the State sector-hopefully to the detriment of Meeja Studies as a quid pro quo (I know; weak, feeble and utterly predictable-just like my last CR!)
  11. Depending on where you are - English probably is a foreign language :)
  12. Fair one Steven. But luckily coming from Suffolk the language is still very much English :) I am going to re-do my GCSE English at college. Will be returning my medical form in the next few days so I will have to see what happens next. Would like to continue my application as I know it will take a while but not sure whether this is possible... Fingers crossed
  13. Heh. I'd be delighted to come and do a Grammar Nazi course for new DSL entrants, my day rate is an amazingly reasonable £750/day + exes. Not sure that some of the old methods would be quite as acceptable nowadays, of course.
  14. I go along with Revmodes, go for spanish. It's a language that's on the up and opens the door to almost an entire continent including large parts of the USA.
    Plus once you have one nailed down then other latin based languages are relatively easy to pick up, or at least follow.

The point about getting your nose up the local girl's knickers was also well made, but be very, very, careful, knowing a smattering of spanish got me into her underwear, it also got me hitched and over here some time ago.
  15. No One thought about Swahili or the Somalian dialects yet, seems to be rather popular around the Job Centres and Housing Benefit Offices at the moment.