Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by bernoulli, Mar 5, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I apologise if this has been covered - as it almost certainly has - but the search function isn't working.

By the end of the year, if all goes well, I should have a Scottish island smallholding, and that means it's time to think of indulging an old fantasy and buying a Landy!
    It would be used for hauling stuff around the fields, hoiking machinery around etc. I wouldn't be looking at doing great mileage, as it's a small island and I'd have another motor for long main land trips.

Any coments on reliability, getting parts, best models etc?

Standing by for abuse. I know the price of doing business on Arrse.
  2. Something made by Toyota.
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Buy enough parts that would enable you to build three other vehicles if you had the chassis to go with them.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using ARRSE mobile app
  4. Ensure it comes with Tirfor, cable, holdfast, pickets and sledgehammer.
  5. The Series Landies are far tougher & more rust resistant than the coil sprung models. Of these the S3 are the least collectible, so cheapest .... but if you buy a 2 or 2A & get a pre 73 model there'll be no road tax to pay. Mine is a S2 LWB (109) 1959 Bitsa with a 200tdi engine, I love it. Being pre 1960 it also needs no MOT.
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Get a Ferguson TED 20

• Like Like x 3
  7. Discovery's are cheap, Defenders are dear (Dearer than the equivilant year Range Rover in most cases!) Parts are reasonably priced and the on line parts supply is the best of any car make.

Depending on what you're carrying, I'd go Discovery, probably 300tdi, therefore less electric gizmos to fail. Just find one with little or no rust...
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Unless you want to have repairing it as an extra 'hobby' and have a hard on for deliberately doing things the miserable way don't, whatever you do, get an old lannie.

Get the best flat bed Hi-Lux you can afford. I 'roughed' it for a couple of years with a Series 3 and it's a ******* nightmare.

Apart from anything else - and I was in Herefordshire, never mind bloody Scotland - they're as cold and draughty as charity, it's impossible to get the slightest bit of warmth to cheer you up, never mind try and dry your boots off a bit.

An old, cold lannie that you have to inevitably bodge somehow to start on a frozen dark morning is a thing of abject misery.

Jump in the Hi-Lux, turn the key, on come the lights and the radio and off you go with the heater on max chat bouncing over the ground without 'gull wing' door tops letting the rain, hail and snow fly straight across the cab in one side and out the other.

Much more like it, I can tell you. Also get really good tyres - and a winch.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. A Defender TDi pick-up. When you get bored of the cab unbolt it and enjoy the Highland air whistling through your hair (assuming you have some)

Don't get a white one however.
  10. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I would say it may depend on which Island group, Orkney, Shetland, or Western?

Salt air in all of them can cause rust like you wouldn't believe, and you can end up waiting a few days to over a week for parts in case of inevitable breakdown.

My Lightweight is still in Orkney.

Gone but not forgotten.
  11. How big is a smallholding?
  12. Anything under 20 acres [down to about an acre I guess]

Woodland doesn't count.......
  13. You jammy barsteward! I'm well jel!
  14. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Yeah, Toyota Hilux or Nissan Navara gets my vote every time.

Ponces who are trying to make a statement with the whole 'look at me, I'm living a simple rural existence because I have a 30 year old, utterly shit car,' are *****.

It's Nissans, Toyotas and Mitsubishis, along with Honda Quads, that the farmers rely on up here for their livelihood. You occasionally see a newish Defender being used, but nothing more than 5 years old.

The only people who drive battered old Landys are ex public school ******* who are trying to look like they're in touch with the common man. These are the same people who cut about in their Dad's 40 year old Barbour jacket and Hunter wellys in Sainsburys.
    • Like Like x 4