Landrovers

I apologise if this has been covered - as it almost certainly has - but the search function isn't working.

By the end of the year, if all goes well, I should have a Scottish island smallholding, and that means it's time to think of indulging an old fantasy and buying a Landy!
It would be used for hauling stuff around the fields, hoiking machinery around etc. I wouldn't be looking at doing great mileage, as it's a small island and I'd have another motor for long main land trips.

Any coments on reliability, getting parts, best models etc?

PS

Standing by for abuse. I know the price of doing business on Arrse.

Buy enough parts that would enable you to build three other vehicles if you had the chassis to go with them.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using ARRSE mobile app

Ensure it comes with Tirfor, cable, holdfast, pickets and sledgehammer.

The Series Landies are far tougher & more rust resistant than the coil sprung models. Of these the S3 are the least collectible, so cheapest .... but if you buy a 2 or 2A & get a pre 73 model there'll be no road tax to pay. Mine is a S2 LWB (109) 1959 Bitsa with a 200tdi engine, I love it. Being pre 1960 it also needs no MOT.

Discovery's are cheap, Defenders are dear (Dearer than the equivilant year Range Rover in most cases!) Parts are reasonably priced and the on line parts supply is the best of any car make.

Depending on what you're carrying, I'd go Discovery, probably 300tdi, therefore less electric gizmos to fail. Just find one with little or no rust...

Unless you want to have repairing it as an extra 'hobby' and have a hard on for deliberately doing things the miserable way don't, whatever you do, get an old lannie.

Get the best flat bed Hi-Lux you can afford. I 'roughed' it for a couple of years with a Series 3 and it's a ******* nightmare.

Apart from anything else - and I was in Herefordshire, never mind bloody Scotland - they're as cold and draughty as charity, it's impossible to get the slightest bit of warmth to cheer you up, never mind try and dry your boots off a bit.

An old, cold lannie that you have to inevitably bodge somehow to start on a frozen dark morning is a thing of abject misery.

Jump in the Hi-Lux, turn the key, on come the lights and the radio and off you go with the heater on max chat bouncing over the ground without 'gull wing' door tops letting the rain, hail and snow fly straight across the cab in one side and out the other.

Much more like it, I can tell you. Also get really good tyres - and a winch.

A Defender TDi pick-up. When you get bored of the cab unbolt it and enjoy the Highland air whistling through your hair (assuming you have some)

300.jpeg

Don't get a white one however.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I would say it may depend on which Island group, Orkney, Shetland, or Western?

Salt air in all of them can cause rust like you wouldn't believe, and you can end up waiting a few days to over a week for parts in case of inevitable breakdown.

My Lightweight is still in Orkney.

Gone but not forgotten.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Yeah, Toyota Hilux or Nissan Navara gets my vote every time.

Ponces who are trying to make a statement with the whole 'look at me, I'm living a simple rural existence because I have a 30 year old, utterly shit car,' are cnuts.

It's Nissans, Toyotas and Mitsubishis, along with Honda Quads, that the farmers rely on up here for their livelihood. You occasionally see a newish Defender being used, but nothing more than 5 years old.

The only people who drive battered old Landys are ex public school ******* who are trying to look like they're in touch with the common man. These are the same people who cut about in their Dad's 40 year old Barbour jacket and Hunter wellys in Sainsburys.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
You're all insane wanting to use a 'car' no matter how many wheel drive its got on a small holding ~ Get a tractor, much more usable, more kit to go on the back that does more stuff etc etc. What can you use a car for? Towing things and mucking up the inside. There are 40 plus implements to go on the back of small tractors to actually do stuff with. Plus they hold their money or go up rather than depreciating like they fell off a cliff.......

Something made by Toyota.
What he said.

I spent years suffering endless grief with Landies and after a particulary depressing series of problems sold the bloody thing and purchased a second hand Land Cruiser.

Had it for 8 years now and in that time done nothing more than consumables: regular oil changes, filters, grease up UJ's, two sets of brake pads, one set of discs, replaced tyres it came with (hideous Dunflops) with BFG All Terrain and swapped out the shocks for Old Man Emu ones of my own free will.

Apart from that, has never failed to start, stop, go round corners, everything works and not immediately aware of being in a relic

The only people who drive battered old Landys are ex public school ******* who are trying to look like they're in touch with the common man. These are the same people who cut about in their Dad's 40 year old Barbour jacket and Hunter wellys in Sainsburys.
This is an inaccurate and wildly sweeping statement that may or may not have some grain of truth within.

If the man want's and has dreamed of owning a Landy then let him buy one. I've had a few over the years and I've certainly never worn Pater's Barbour.

Having thought about it, what with the rust as well as the unreliablility and general shitenesss, you'd be much better off with a cart horse on a smallholing than a S2/3.

It'll start easily enough and least you'll get a bit of body heat from it.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
Having thought about it, what with the rust as well as the unreliablility and general shitenesss, you'd be much better off with a cart horse on a smallholing than a S2/3.

It'll start easily enough and least you'll get a bit of body heat from it.
Clap Clap Clap Clap LOL: More sense than trying to work the land with a 4x4