Land Wars and Asia

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by commission_impossible, Jul 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've heard the phrase, "Never start/get involved in/fight a land war in Asia" before and had always assumed it had some basis in military history or thinking. However, I've since been informed that it's just a quote from "The Princess Bride".

Can anyone offer any insight?

2. It's in the film after they're bluffing/counter bluffing over a chalice with poison in it:

Vizzini: You only think I guessed wrong! That's what's so funny! I switched glasses when your back was turned! Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...

3. I thought Montomery said it?

• Like Like x 1
  4. "You should try everything once,apart from,incest,scottish country dancing and a land war in Asia"

A modern day development of the gnomic advice from the Delphic Oracle

5. There is a quote attributed to Gen. Douglas MacArthur. He told John F. Kennedy in a White House meeting ca. 1961 that Kennedy "should have his head examined if wanted to involve the United States in a land war in South East Asia". Former Secretary of Defense Robert Gates repeated a variation of this recently.

6. He did, though I was unaware of the previous usage, and assumed he like the film ;)

7. Monty said it somewhere as one of two points he was making, the other i think being never try and invade Moscow or some such like that referring to Napoleon and Adolf

8. "The US has broken the second rule of war. That is, don't go fighting with your land army on the mainland of Asia. Rule One is don't march on Moscow. I developed these two rules myself."

Originally cited in an early biography of him, IIRC.

edit:

Actually -
    Monty in the House of Lords, 13 March 1968

And then

- again in the Lords, this time a debate on the Army estimates on 30 May 68.

9. Don't fcuk with the Fritzl's Korean Highlanders.

10. Me too, a speech to the House of Lords, I think. Memory whispers something about "Never march on Moscow and never take your armies into China".

11. I refer the Noble Lord, Viscount Smartascarrots to the post I made some hours ago...

12. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Forget all of this Monty/Mcarthur stuff:

13. I thank the Noble Lord and noted natural philosopher. I should know by now to refresh a thread that's been left open before commenting.

14. Possibly one of the funniest films ever.

'As for the Rodents Of Unusual Size ? ...... I don't think they exist.'