Land Rover wins French army order

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by fantassin, Jun 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. According to this official website

http://www.defense.gouv.fr/terre/breves/remplacement_des_vltt_p4_du_cofat

the French army is currently procuring 334 Land Rover 130 (commercial, non-militarized type) for the training directorate of the army.

They will replace some of the worn out Peugeot P4 still in service and they will join the several hundred LR already in service in all four services of the FRA armed forces. I do not know the exact type (the illustration of the original article shows a crew-cab).

2. It's a good all terrain, medium truck. Good news for British Manufacturing - might encourage some civvy purchases in La Belle France too.

3. It us useful piece of kit (apart from the Ford TDCi engine)
    A decent sale for Land Rovr too which won't hurt, Perhaps Fantassin can correct me but I think tax rules in France make Land Rovers un-atractive to private buyers?

4. I don't know what engine they have nowadays. I thought they still had the TD5. A solid 6 cylinder turbo diesel is what's needed.

5. I don't think taxes are making people run away from LRs. AFAIK, the main issue I hear about LRs from old 4X4 hands is that those vehicles are becoming "too complicated" and that is is now impossible to tinker with them the way they used to.

Electrical problems are also often quoted as well as a poor driver's position for LHD vehicles (tall people are very close to the door and only comfortable when driving with the window open and the elbow sticking out !).

Anyway, the LRs will be much better than the beat-up P4 that are now only barely street legal according to EU safety and emissions rules....

6. 2.4 TDCi Transit engine and 6 speed gearbox.
    Pretty brisk performance but shockingly bad electrical gremlins on many. Entirely down to Ford and may be cured under the new owners.
    Some users (a lot of gamekeepers I know especially) are complaining of horrific fuel consumption too, in many cases down in the teens to the gallon.
    I think the TD5 may be still available for some export markets, I know the 300TDi stopped production for export not that long ago.

I have to be honest, Land Rover still need to sort their act out, I've had more than a couple of dozen over the years and my TD5 Discovery burst a fuel pipe this week, a common fault that should have been fixed on recall long before I bought it. It is an 8 year old motor and these things happen but what is unreasonable is that the fuel pipes are genuine only and unavailable until September. After sales service is pretty poor.

7. It's true tat after sales service has always been patchy. LR boast of 3/4 of all production still being on hte road but it's not much thanks to Solihull's after sales and parts supplies.

Doubt the modern ones will be going as long as mine....

[​IMG]

Must get those logs out of the back - 3/4 ton of them, mine still works for a living.

8. Good to see LR still pulling in the orders.

Although I wonder if with the current economic climate the marque will go back to designing good utility vehicles in stead of chasing hte chelsea tractor crowd?

9. trouble is a euro road legal
    and back of beyond repairable by hitting it with some thing big. (or getting a highly trained reme person to look at it :twisted: )

probably highly incompatable you can have legal co2 emissions or you can simple you can't have both.

10. That said, a modern electronic controlled fuel injection system shouldn't be any harder to repair than a diesel fuel injector pump and the injectors.

Having a ready supply of parts and a degree of redundancy in the electronics pack should make it easy. In fact you should just be able to unplug one bit and plug another in and expect it to work, should be getting more reliable and easier not harder.

11. I also have a 1979 SeriesIII 109" Safari :D
    The TD5 is by far the best allround vehicle I've ever had, it also has an annoying habit of something breaking at least once a month, its cost at least £100 a month in repairs for the year I've had it so far. Not including routine maintenance.

Euro emmisions regs are the biggest steaming pile of poo in years.
    The simple fact it (and you won't find many people who admit it) is that the continuing demand to decrease emmisions is simply having a negative effect on fuel consumption. Engines may well burn cleaner but they burn more fuel too.
    Its part of the green initiative that really is bollox, and gain we make in clean burn engines is simply offset by poorer fuel consumption.
    I work for a small firm operating 14 vans, each time we replace an older van with e an equivlent newer model fuel costs rise.
    Many TDCi Transits are not capable of 20mpg, each new emision category engine is thirstier than its predecesor.

12. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I don't understand why the goverment don't buy Landrover
    They could use it to make military vehicles to the MOD specs and export some
    They could allow Ford or Jaguar to build the Freelander/ disco and Range Rover under license

13. Technically you are correct ES.
    In the case of the TD5 £200 buys you a Nanocom that can do the ful range of diagnostics, it make the TD5 one of the best Land Rover engines, now that you can do diagnosis and repairs yourself. For instance without it (or similar) you cannot change an injector on a TD5 because the new one requires coding to the ECU.
    In truth, I've been tinkering with V12 Jaguar engines for over 10 years, modern diesels aren't that different to deal with. Nothing wrong with applying modern technology to diesels, the results are pretty good.

14. Obviously they'd rather spunk money on bankers.....

Personnaly, and I said this at the time, I would have had the government purchase Land Rover AND Jaguar. Indeed if Rolls Royce or similar came up for grabs they too would be purchased.

Land Rovers could be produced for not only MoD but also utility companies such as AA or the various power, water and forestry commissions. VAT could be abolished on LRs on the grounds that all profits would go to the government anyway.... thus makeing them VERY competitive.

Likewise Jags could be the car of choice for our MPs, Royalty and others.

15. Land Rovers must be able to reverse REALLY quickly, then. LR Special Vehicle Operations will be busy welding on white flag holders.