Land rover whine

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by BONNACON, Sep 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Got this whine not as persistent as AK but annoying.Think it's my transfer box or might be a diff. I get it mostly about 60mph. not to loud but enough to know it is there.
    It's done 111,000 with fairly reg oil changes. any advice on addatives, Don't think we are talking changing unit yet.
  2. Squash some Bannanas into diff and sell it to some dewey eyed prick who think Landrovers are cool!
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Sensible answer for a happy more trustworthy society.

You should have seen the amount of pudding and newspapers I stuck in my old Motocross transit. Still cant believe the bloke gave me 300 quid for it.

Sorry more sensible answer will be along shortly.
  4. leave the wife at home, annoying whine cured
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Anyone else bunged a tennis ball into a motorbike engine to give it "good compresion" ?
  6. A landrover is for life not for christmas.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

**** off and die in a fire choking on a chicken bone.

Sorry. Where were we?

Is the whine only there with power on? Like when you are pulling away, but the noise dies off when you are freewheeling? I assume you have checked the levels in your gearbox and transfer box, yes?
  8. Is it only in top gear at 60? Is there any other box noises at other speeds?

Bearing starting to shit itself in top?
  9. Landrover Wine? Mine's a Merlot! Thanks for asking! ;o)
  10. Could be a wheel bearing mate? Diff would be a constant whine but louder at speed afaik
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I thought they all did, all the green fleet used to on tarmac and currently all the owners do!
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Possible. somedays no noise at all.
  13. Checked bearings when I had an ABS problem. All Well. Hoping its a diff as I got given 2 brand spanking new ones!
  14. It be Tyres,
    less the landy is post 300tdi, then it be chassis crying cause it knows it has a 5hitty engine
  15. As already asked...does it disappear when you stick the clutch in?