Land Rover Series III petrol wanted

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by Whiskybreath, Feb 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If anyone knows of a top-quality (and I mean top-quality!) example of a short-wheelbase SIII for sale, would you send me a PM, pse?
  2. Hah. So, to all of you twats who knew of a Top Quality SIII but kept it to yourselves because you thought you'd have it yourselves, I sneer in your general direction. I got this the other day. It's a 1984 model which did a total of 30,000 miles with the Army and then found itself in storage as a cast vehicle from 1988 until 1998. The chap I bought it from seems to have spent all the years since then improving and polishing it in various ways, without adding much to the mileage (I've got all of the test certificates). Retirement forced his hand and I forked out a pittance for it - an appreciating asset indeed. Eat your hearts out.

Edit: Curses! "GD Image Library Not Available"
    Maybe tomorrow.
  3. WB
    Being misled by your thread title thought you wanted fuel for your Land-Rover.
    Had I known you were searching for an actual vehicle I would have ignored your thread anyway as I don't know of any.
    Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    Hope this helps.
  4. Twat. I shall punish you by not posting a picture of it right now.
  5. Youv'e picqued my interest now. Are you the sort of LR owner who covers it in stickers and has a pile of LR related magazines in the back? I knew one once who had an absolutely unshakable faith in the ability of the LR to go anywhere. I was in a planning planning ex with him once and he presented his individual effort which included the farm LR going across country which the scenario said was impassible. When challenged by the DS her replied (in the manner of a primary school teacher dealing with a slow 5 year old) "It's a Land Rover Sir."
  6. No, not me. I've peeled off all of the previous owner's stickers (relating to Lifeboat Rescue services, mostly) and although I've got a complete set of the first five years of Land Rover Owner, they're in an outhouse somewhere. Plus, I've spent much of my time driving them across African leas and meadows, and so have a fairly good idea of their (and my) capabilities. The only time I've been embarrassed by getting stupidly stuck was in a Mini in Long Valley, with a Scorpion bearing down on me at speed. The Mini stayed stuck, I ran and the Scorpion won.

For some geeky IT reason, I can't post a picture of the wagon to pique your jealousy, which hacks me off. Just you wait.
  7. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

So does this mean you have fuel for a Landy? Where can I subscribe to your newsletter?
  8. It looks a bit like my old company car, except mine was green and black, with a tyre on the bonnet, and a soft top, and was a diesel, and didn't have a split screen

edit: aahhhh you have removed the picture
  9. That was bait to draw CutLunchCommando in, but he's sleeping off last night's cider cocktails and isn't biting. Here you are:
    (Previous owner's pictures)

Attached Files:

10. Nice Lightweight.

Well, once you've got rid of all that gay checkerplate and put a proper rag-top on it, it will..
  11. Got the (new, blue) ragtop and associated steelwork, but it's staying in the garage. That 'safari' top is the business and it doesn't leak!

("Gay" checkerwork? Dear oh dear. Well, it'll be coloured over when I respray. Plans, plans.)
  12. A lightweight never looks quite right in a hard top, even a nice tropical roof.
    Hood and sticks is what's needed (tilt). Then of course adopt the 'flat-top':
    door tops off, screen down...

That's the way to drive one, IMHO.

Lovely motor, good luck with the work.
  13. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Nice job on the lightweight. Where do you park it? I wish to nick the seats.

I assume the sheep shite, mud and crisp packets have been removed from the cab for some maintainence task?
  14. Fuel? No. Which is why I ignored the thread in the first place. I didn't know Landys needed special fuel. That would explain all the faffing that surrounded POL issues. How often did I gaze bleary eyed at service station shop at soem ungodly hour thinking "Dear God, whats the matter with just getting a till receipt on its own? Come on AQ just pay the bird so we can get on the ferry." No I know it was all justified.

A newsletter? Thats a thought. I'll get back to you on that. What sort of things would you like to see?
  15. Since the photo is at the wrong angle I can't see whether you've left the fuzzy boiled sweets in the dashboard debris trays. More importantly are the blower ducts in the proper damaged condition or do they actually direct air onto the windows?