Land rover replacement

I think you will find that the Spanish Santana Land Rover looky-likey(see below) is being considered as a replacement.

Land Rover did not bid for the contract due to them signing a nice warranty deal on the Wolf variant and then a lot of them getting completely shagged in Iraq, Landy did not make the profit they planned for when they worked out the needs of a peacetime army! This is however 3rd hand info so I may be a tad wrong on this last bit.

Don't know why Land Rover didn't bid. Owned by Ford anyway. Panther is the ferret replacement and as said above, not the Wolf replacement per see. I'm sure there is an earlier thread about LR replacement and I believe it's going to be the mercedes G-Wagen. I think it is due to greater internal space and compatability with Pinzgauer, as both are from Puch in Austria. I believe the MOD are buying a lot more pinzgauers, so it makes sense thta all light vehicles have the same engines, wheels, running gear etc. The Canadians have armoured some of their G-wagens, so it might be easy to add on armour to give a degree of protection, but I am not sure if that is a factor. The Panther is approx £400,000 and I believe the only British part is the bonnet!

Oh and the Bae remote weapons station .Being bae guess it wont work :roll: .Thinks sf platoons should have these no more c2 sight rubbish .

As has been said already, this vehicle is not a LR replacement.

However, MOD have been looking at a LR replacement for a long time, I believe due to inadequate payload of current models in-service.

F**king typical the MOD buys every foreign piece of shit just like the other government departments.
This just buggers every manufacturing company here even more. In ten years we'll all be no better off than
most african third world outfits.
Hell not to worry i'll be on the sunshine coast sippin rum and coke by then, laughin at 3rd World Britain :)

I'd rather they bought the best available kit than automatically going for the UK-built option.

SA80 vs HK to name but one example, MOD would have better buying foreign ...

woksmuggler said:
I believe the MOD are buying a lot more pinzgauers, so it makes sense thta all light vehicles have the same engines, wheels, running gear etc.
PG's are excellent vehicles, gets my vote. There is also a WIMIK version.

Blokes, this vehicle is not to replace L/R's it is an addtional vehicle to fill the CSM/SSM CV role and as an addtional CV to replace the CVRT CV. I have seen it in the flesh and it looks good, it has the BOWMAN for in it and still has room for 4 blokes plus their pers kit, at the moment the remote firing rig is under going testing to allow .50 to be on top rather than L37 GPMG. If the .50 proves to be a success then the vehicle may be adopted for MSG duties as well. All in all this vehicle will offer more protection/speed in the much needed floating CV role, we need much more of this smart procurement in the old days we only could have gone for fecking Alvis or some other Brit company.
As for hummer, I wouldnt bother just yet, wait for the US to finish the Turbo/supercharging, the new laminate armour package with ERA, remote firing rig, aircon package and then trial it and see how it goes, why bother spending the $50.mil when they are about to do it anyway?

woksmuggler said:
Don't know why Land Rover didn't bid. Owned by Ford anyway. Panther is the ferret replacement and as said above, not the Wolf replacement per see. I'm sure there is an earlier thread about LR replacement and I believe it's going to be the mercedes G-Wagen. I think it is due to greater internal space and compatability with Pinzgauer, as both are from Puch in Austria. I believe the MOD are buying a lot more pinzgauers, so it makes sense thta all light vehicles have the same engines, wheels, running gear etc. The Canadians have armoured some of their G-wagens, so it might be easy to add on armour to give a degree of protection, but I am not sure if that is a factor. The Panther is approx £400,000 and I believe the only British part is the bonnet!
Pinzgauers are British built..made in Guildford Surrey. Puch Styers are austrian...

WhiteHorse said:
woksmuggler said:
Pinzgauers are British built..made in Guildford Surrey. Puch Styers are austrian...
Agreed. i meant that both designs were from puch in Austria.

Goose_Rider said:
Roadless said:
In ten years we'll all be no better off than most african third world outfits.
We can get to that end-state in three months if we 'pimp-up' some Toyota pick-ups into 'technicals' ...
I think that the toyota Hi-lux would be topgears choice. virtualy indestructable by all accounts (& topgears tests). won't offer much protechtion unless it is armoured up though.

It does look like the Wolf will be the last LR in service, as all the stories I've been reading in the press the last couple of years have all spoken about the replacement for the Defender having a unitary chassis, and not a seperate ladder frame. This pretty much rules it out of having much military application as it makes it much harder and more expensive to start customising it - ambluances, WMK, Snatch and so on.

Hence the reason for looking for a vehicle from elsewhere, as there aren't any other volume producers of suitable 4x4s in the UK, only local assembly of other manufaturer's designs.

Personally, I think LR are shooting themselves in the foot with this one, as surely it is one of the greatest ads for them as a brand pretty much worldwide having them seen in every theatre, not only in miliraty service but with so many of the press corps too.

Incidently, a few years back the US Rangers bought Rovers in preference to anything home grown.

On another personal note, I knew Rovers were capable but I was still gobsmaked how good they were as a Redtop in BATUS. Up and down hills, top speed cross country. Everything you could ask for.

And they can outrun a Humvee.

Last thing - don't be so surprised that the Santana looks so similar, as they were associated with LandRover until the early 90s.

I read somewhere that LR are going to produce 2 versions for the Defender. One is going to have a unitary chassis which is going to be marketed to the leisure market. A second version will have a traditional ladder chassis and be targeted at the commercial and military sector.

Hummers are rather overated, I've not had go myself but one of our drivers swapped his rover for one for a go in iraq, and he wanted the rover back. The american chap wantedto keep it so theres your review. No power steering?!

Santana are effectively Series IV's. When the Defender line was bought out and the Series vehicles stopped being produced Santana who had being building under licence, bought the licence.

They retain Series Leaf springs (and are deemd to have better articualtion than a standard coilsprung defender due to lengthened springhangers nad gubbins) They have Series 2x4 and 4x4 options but also Difflock. And are entirely Modular with sperate chasis as has already been said.

|Its a shame landrover arent still provinding for hte contract, but if Santan get the gig it would be no loss to the forces.

Latest Threads