Land Rover horror stories

Truxx

LE
Gas axe the crane and crap off it and build a custom camper.
Originally it was a wartime Auxilliary Towing Vehicle, after the war iy was converted to a hose reel tender. Then it had a third life as a breakdown.

If the crane comes off (and it won't need a gas axe) it will be because it is going back to either its wartime or immediate post war configuration.

I stopped camping in old crap 40 years ago thanks.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Originally it was a wartime Auxilliary Towing Vehicle, after the war iy was converted to a hose reel tender. Then it had a third life as a breakdown.

If the crane comes off (and it won't need a gas axe) it will be because it is going back to either its wartime or immediate post war configuration.

I stopped camping in old crap 40 years ago thanks.

I think it's worth preserving as it is, a very original example of an ex-mil conversion. There must have been hundreds back in the 50's and very few left now. It looks like a decent conversion as well, not a quick lash-up.

Truxx

LE
I think it's worth preserving as it is, a very original example of an ex-mil conversion. There must have been hundreds back in the 50's and very few left now. It looks like a decent conversion as well, not a quick lash-up.
I am inclining towards that point of view. This is, as you say, a "proper"job, and even includes a towing ambulance which was designed to go under the front (or rear) axle of a damaged vehicle for recovery.

As you say, common as a common thing once upon a time, but very few in preservation

Technically though not ex. Military, rather ex fire service.

20220729_141155.jpg

Tyres. Bastard things.

Wife borrowed my Disco the other day, and on the way home she calls me and says “there’s a warning triangle in the dash”. “Well what’s the message?” “I dunno”. “Well press some buttons and figure it out then”. “Tire pressure, left rear”. On getting home, there are no less than three ferking screws in the left rear, thankfully all in the middle of the tread.

I dismounted the wheel and next day she took it to get repaired. Got it back on the truck, all good. This was Saturday. Well this morning I go in the garage, and lo and behold, the left rear has only got half a sidewall at the bottom. Top seems OK :)

My next thought then was “It’s probably bolloxed, just replace that axle, and put the good one on a full size wheel for the spare, which is currently a space saver turd”. Currently running Bridgestone Alenza Dueler H/Ls. Not bad at all on the road, and they were only changed 15K ago.

Well it appears they are discontinued in my size (255/55R19). So that probably means I need to change all four, and scrap the front two which are perfectly good. Bonus!

Currently looking at Continental TerrainContact A/T’s. The Bridgestones are little too road-ish, but I don’t want something which is an out-and-out mud tyre. Any experiences with those Contis? Or other suggestions?

Last edited:

Truxx

LE
Tyres. Bastard things.

Wife borrowed my Disco the other day, and on the way home she calls me and says “there’s a warning triangle in the dash”. “Well what’s the message?” “I dunno”. “Well press some buttons and figure it out then”. “Tire pressure, left rear”. On getting home, there are no less than three ferking screws in the right rear, thankfully all in the middle of the tread.

I dismounted the wheel and next day she took it to get repaired. Got it back on the truck, all good. This was Saturday. Well this morning I go in the garage, and lo and behold, the left rear has only got half a sidewall at the bottom. Top seems OK :)

My next thought then was “It’s probably bolloxed, just replace that axle, and put the good one on a full size wheel for the spare, which is currently a space saver turd”. Currently running Bridgestone Alenza Dueler H/Ls. Not bad at all on the road, and they were only changed 15K ago.

Well it appears they are discontinued in my size (255/55R19). So that probably means I need to change all four, and scrap the front two which are perfectly good. Bonus!

Currently looking at Continental TerrainContact A/T’s. The Bridgestones are little too road-ish, but I don’t want something which is an out-and-out mud tyre. Any experiences with those Contis? Or other suggestions?
On the plus side you are now 3 screws up.

Truxx

LE
Well thanks shipmates.

With a little youtube sharing of what little I know in mind I post a piece on my local town Facebook page wondering if there is anyone out there who has the ability aspiration or just fancies a go at helping make a few videos of what we get up to. A light hearted slightly tongue in cheek offer of tea/coffee/ very occasional bit of cake by way of renumeration.

So far so good.

Right up to the point I get some twerp mithering about "exploitation" and how very dare I only offer cake because cameras, lighting and tripods all cost money. He even posted a link to some luvvie essay by a bloke called Wouter rejecting the idea that those in the "creative" sector should contemplate doing owt for nowt.

Inevitably it became a bit of a cyber rant; happily after a number of posts he has declared that "he has nothing more to say on the matter" but even so I was left with an over-riding impression along the lines of "what a d1ck" especially as he had utterly missed the point that I would be giving up my time and making my "expertise" freely available to anyone who could be arrsed to watch YouTube.

Sheesh.

Any road up I was stopped in the street on Tuesday by an older chap who said that he was very interested and could he come and have a chat to see what we were up to currently.

Just goes to show though.

And it's all your fault.

Last edited:

TamH70

MIA
Well thanks shipmates.

With a little youtube sharing of what little I know in mind I post a piece on my local town Facebook page wondering if there is anyone out there who has the ability aspiration or just fancies a go at helping make a few videos of what we get up to. A light hearted slightly tongue in cheek offer of tea/coffee/ very occasional bit of cake by way of renumeration.

So far so good.

Right up to the point I get some twerp mithering about "exploitation" and how very dare I only offer cake because cameras, lighting and tripods all cost money. He even posted a link to some luvvie essay by a bloke called Wouter rejecting the idea that those in the "creative" sector should contemplate doing owt for nowt.

Inevitably it became a bit of a cyber rant; happily after a number of posts he has declared that "he has nothing more to say on the matter" but even so I was left with an over-riding impression along the lines of "what a d1ck" especially as he had utterly missed the point that I would be giving up my time and making my "expertise" freely available to anyone who could be arrsed to watch YouTube.

Sheesh.

Any road up I was stopped in the street on Tuesday by an older chap who said that he was very interested and could he come and have a chat to see what we were up to currently.

And it's all your fault.

Have you not got a selection of very big wagons to flatten said twerp with on a dark and stormy night?

Besides, congratulations! Stick with it, and once you're happier with how things are going, either link to the page here or PM interested parties.

Truxx

LE
Have you not got a selection of very big wagons to flatten said twerp with on a dark and stormy night?

Besides, congratulations! Stick with it, and once you're happier with how things are going, either link to the page here or PM interested parties.
What would be splendid is to find someone who does a good job, gets the bug and ends up making his or her mark in the very creative world that my idiot thinks he is protecting.

Just like Ridley Scott. Who made his mark making hovis adverts for the telly box.

Well thanks shipmates.

So far so good.

Sheesh.

And it's all your fault.

You can't beat a good cyber rant. It's like throwing stones in a pond, stand back and watch the ripples.

Spending time around trucks with tea and cake - something I'd love to do if I could handle the Tech, which I can't!

A good lesson there about people with an inflated sense of their own value. It's not easy to make a good video, it needs planning and editing without going OTT with effects, graphics and subtitles. So much stuff on you tube has cameras wildly panning and zooming, pointing in the wrong direction. The commentaries are usually poor as well, it has to be fluent and if not fully scripted at least follow "key-words" in a logical order. I'm pleased you've found someone with a genuine interest, look forward to seeing the results.

Truxx

LE
You can't beat a good cyber rant. It's like throwing stones in a pond, stand back and watch the ripples.

Spending time around trucks with tea and cake - something I'd love to do if I could handle the Tech, which I can't!

A good lesson there about people with an inflated sense of their own value. It's not easy to make a good video, it needs planning and editing without going OTT with effects, graphics and subtitles. So much stuff on you tube has cameras wildly panning and zooming, pointing in the wrong direction. The commentaries are usually poor as well, it has to be fluent and if not fully scripted at least follow "key-words" in a logical order. I'm pleased you've found someone with a genuine interest, look forward to seeing the results.
I looked back at a couple of videos we had previously posted on our Facebook business page.

I was slightly surprised to see that it had somehow added subtitles. Not 100% accurate but not too bad, it was pretty clever.

Truxx

LE

I am not a follower of these things so am no real help in actually storyboarding

My hope is that the stuff we are doing with the minimum commentary, should speak for itself.

Latest Threads