Land Rover horror stories

I believe the company is named after Emil Skoda who founded the industrial side of the company, originally making machine guns for the Austro-Hungarian Army.

They branched out into trains, bridges, power stations and other heavy engineering products. The central hub of the London Eye was built by Skoda.

The car side descends from Laurin & Klement who originally made bicycles and had something to do with Hispano Suiza. The Laurin & Klement name is still carried on the top spec Skoda cars.

All largely irrelevant now as they’re just another VW / Audi subsidiary, making the same cars just with subtle cosmetic differences.

Off topic, but I'm guessing VW didn't take on the heavy side of Skoda?

stevers

Old-Salt
Put my Disco 3 in for MOT, it failed on a couple of points.

Rear brake pipes corroded, not a problem, wire brush and a dash of zinc paint sorted that.

Front lower wishbone bushes worn. I challenged this as I replaced them less than 20,000 miles ago. The tester said there was zero movement in the bushes and because I had fitted new tyres on the front I was hiding the wear caused by no movement in the bushes... He was called out for talking bollox not only be me but several professional mechanics, I won't be using that place again.

Needless to say I now have a fresh ticket on it.
I had a 'moment' two years ago when an old brake pipe burst on my Defender. I replaced every inch of the system as a consequence, it was suprisingly cheap. It's something I wouldn't skimp on again.

I’ve spent yesterday reccieing a potential stalk north of Gatehouse of fleet.
It’s the first time I’ve really really. Pushed the off road ability of any
l113 rrover.( about 15 miles if point to point over high moorland and unimog grade firebreaks.)
Biggest worry was wondering if we might start a grass fire when rock crawling through broken ground with 2 foot dry grass. But the imperial barge ( Mk 2) didn’t put a foot wrong ( or get stuck) on road tyres .
They are marked down as a Chelsea Tractor but yet again I’m impressed almost beyond belief at just how able it still is.
( and nothing broke off during the whole of the “ excursion” and looking underneath this morning , all appears unbent as well.)
truly a car for all seasons.
As this is the horror thread I fully expect it to blow up on the M5 on Monday.!.

I had a 'moment' two years ago when an old brake pipe burst on my Defender. I replaced every inch of the system as a consequence, it was suprisingly cheap. It's something I wouldn't skimp on again.
I wholly agree that system like that shouldn't be skimped on, but there was nothing wrong with the brake pipe just minor surface rust on a couple of spots, not even where the chassis clips are which are the normal culprits.

I did replace the rubber flexi hoses a couple of years ago as they are prone to disintegrate after a few years.

I

I think mine will manage about 60mpg on this trip, as most of the miles will be on the back of a breakdown truck
Are le mechanics Francais not making you ride in your RR on the back of the truck? This was their solution when our hire car broke down on the way from the airport a few years ago.

5779CC20-83ED-4CC0-94E9-31014DF2CD27.jpeg

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
On my way back from Leeming last week there was a brand new Defender on the hard shoulder of the A1M with the bonnet up and an AA van in attendance.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Just arrived. I owned it in the late 1980s and it has been in a barn for the last 30 years. 20 minutes of fettling and we had it running.

View attachment 683477View attachment 683478
I know it’s a bit of a trek but have you thought about joining the Goodwood Revival Transport Corps?

If you take a pre 1966 working vehicle down to the Revival and help out for the weekend, they’ll pay for your fuel, give you free tickets for guests all weekend, sort out accommodation and food etc.

Looks like a right laugh and a cracking way to be part of the action.

I’ve signed up to take the pickup down (I’ll trailer it down with the Skoda, I’m not completely mental). They’re specifically looking for pre ‘66 Landies.

Hopefully I get selected for it.

Truxx

LE
I know it’s a bit of a trek but have you thought about joining the Goodwood Revival Transport Corps?

If you take a pre 1966 working vehicle down to the Revival and help out for the weekend, they’ll pay for your fuel, give you free tickets for guests all weekend, sort out accommodation and food etc.

Looks like a right laugh and a cracking way to be part of the action.

I’ve signed up to take the pickup down (I’ll trailer it down with the Skoda, I’m not completely mental). They’re specifically looking for pre ‘66 Landies.

Hopefully I get selected for it.
It would be a handy tool that little breakdown. We could make off with a nice little lancia hanging off the back.

Food for thought.

I don't have a landy though...

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
It would be a handy tool that little breakdown. We could make off with a nice little lancia hanging off the back.

Food for thought.

I don't have a landy though...
Doesn’t have to be a Landy specifically, that’s just what they are currently looking for. I think they use them for ferrying Marshals around and whatnot.

I’m sure if you told them you plan to rock up with a pre 1966 tow truck they’d roll out the red carpet for you.

Truxx

LE
Doesn’t have to be a Landy specifically, that’s just what they are currently looking for. I think they use them for ferrying Marshals around and whatnot.

I’m sure if you told them you plan to rock up with a pre 1966 tow truck they’d roll out the red carpet for you.
Genuinely interested.

If I took it I would throw the breakdown on the low loader. Room for a landy on there with it.

Good advertising for me as I will probably get it sign written shortly.

What else could I take I wonder?

Last edited:

Latest Threads