Land Rover horror stories

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Does anyone know where I can find a blue canvas tilt for my SWB 2a?
Even companies that say they have it, have been unable to supply.

I had a spare.

Never got it in the divorce.

Last seen, in a byre in Orkney, 21 years ago.

You're welcome to it.

Mate of mine put this up on FB…. Awesome!!! He’s posted a film of it on his FB page.
F95839E2-EDC9-4CDD-BC7A-5D78DCF5BFFB.jpeg
B76AC6C8-1E4B-4076-A659-1999638BEA2B.jpeg
DDD2F08E-22CA-40C7-9402-ABC5040BD06B.jpeg
4994F4A2-5D72-4650-B3C4-A2B3F4AF51CD.jpeg

Fishsoxs

Old-Salt
Cluster for which model? I have a spare from installing car play with an aftermarket cluster.
Thanks for the offer but I collected it Friday afternoon.

As an aside it had a good run on Friday and yesterday of nearly 100 miles each way with no problem but using it last night for a local journey the yellow engine light came on.

So far not gone into limp mode but before I get the mechanic to dial in could it have been caused by it being stood for a month and then used causing a sudden build up of crap?

Would an Italian tune up work?

2000AD

Old-Salt
Thanks for the offer but I collected it Friday afternoon.

As an aside it had a good run on Friday and yesterday of nearly 100 miles each way with no problem but using it last night for a local journey the yellow engine light came on.

So far not gone into limp mode but before I get the mechanic to dial in could it have been caused by it being stood for a month and then used causing a sudden build up of crap?

Would an Italian tune up work?
Rarely do italian decokes put Engine Malfunction lights off.

Best to get it checked. You can now buy inexpensive fault code readers that are easy to plug in and get the information for what has gone wrong without going to a garage every time. Even if you don't know exactly what the code and it's description means, someone on here would probably point you in the direction of whether it's an indication of a quick fix or impending wallet depleting doom.

Fishsoxs

Old-Salt
Rarely do italian decokes put Engine Malfunction lights off.

Best to get it checked. You can now buy inexpensive fault code readers that are easy to plug in and get the information for what has gone wrong without going to a garage every time. Even if you don't know exactly what the code and it's description means, someone on here would probably point you in the direction of whether it's an indication of a quick fix or impending wallet depleting doom.
I appreciate the reply but in typical fashion it's been fine since coming home from work. If it comes back on I'll then have it plugged into and checked.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
whether it's an indication of a quick fix or impending wallet depleting doom.
If it's a land rover, when is it ever the former!

RTU'd

LE
I recently drove a new defender 90 hard top.
Very disappointed with it as the drive is so not like other LR's.
Essentially its a good towing car or for mummy to get kids to school/pony club.

The farmer I was meeting has it to tow an animal trailer with.
But is worried on marking it or making inside dirty.

Hence why his old 15 yr old 90 HT has had a reconditioned engine put in it.
That is a pleasure to drive.

I recently drove a new defender 90 hard top.
Very disappointed with it as the drive is so not like other LR's.

Im failing to see how thats a negative

Dont get me wrong I love my 90 - its a great little truck** fun to play in but as a daily drive - Its slow noisy heavy drinks like a fish, has all the cornering ability of a drunk pig on a skate board and a turning circle more commonly associated with the Exon Valdez - which incidently it tends to emulate with the trail of oil it leaves everywhere.

**What I needed though is a 110

2000AD

Old-Salt
Finally fixed the air suspension on my Rangie. Replacement compressor and a reset of the ABS and Can bus errors and it now goes up and down like it's meant to. Next tasks; replace radiator and viscous fan unit, replace the gear selector switch pack and replace the rear brake splash plates so the hand brake mechanism has something solid to mount to!
Then it may just pass an MOT.

RTU'd

LE

Dont get me wrong I love my 90 - its a great little truck** fun to play in but as a daily drive - Its slow noisy heavy drinks like a fish, has all the cornering ability of a drunk pig on a skate board and a turning circle more commonly associated with the Exon Valdez - which incidently it tends to emulate with the trail of oil it leaves everywhere.

The price £££ of the new Mummy School Run Defender
In a series LR YOU DECIDED when to put it in to 4 Low/High not a computer chip.

Finally fixed the air suspension on my Rangie. Replacement compressor and a reset of the ABS and Can bus errors and it now goes up and down like it's meant to. Next tasks; replace radiator and viscous fan unit, replace the gear selector switch pack and replace the rear brake splash plates so the hand brake mechanism has something solid to mount to!
Then it may just pass an MOT.
Oh how I miss my classic, shocks and springs, not an electronic thing to be found.

Far too much electronics now days, I’m even considering buying a classic bike and getting rid of my 1700 Thunderbird. Need summit I can service myself and not worry about Tax and MOT.
It did bite though, skinned knuckles a plenty when changing things on the under cart. Servicing was a doddle, with out a trolley jack

skeetstar

War Hero

My wife used to moan that our 110.. "has the turning circle of the titanic, and is just as water proof"

Chop it in for a Puma, all the issues fixed (except for the turning circle :p )

Latest Threads