Land Rover horror stories

Interesting link, which clearly illustrates that the DoE's chosen mode of transport for this Saturday, is NOT, never was, never will be, a Sandringham "gun bus", with a converted box-body as shown in the link/video.

Yer man in the video, said his box-body vehicles are based on ex-army Land-Rover ambulances . . . with which I have some experience, as previously OC of such a Squadron ;) .

Such vehicles are built on the L-R chassis-cab, as (were) delivered from Solihull. The box body of the donor ambulance and the subsequent "gun bus" conversion, is some 18" wider than a normal Defender.

View attachment 565684

The vehicle in the photo from the BBC, shown by @orgASMic , clearly started-out as a normal, soft-top (with canvas "tilt"), LWB pick-up Defender . . . with the (relatively narrow) rear "pick-up" body-sides, flush with the cab doors.

View attachment 565687

The Sandringham estate, may well use normal, soft-top (with canvas "tilt"), LWB pick-up Defenders . . . with which we will all be familiar . . . for such "utility" purposes as transporting muddy dogs, refreshments, ammunition, dead-birds. It would however seem strange to refer to such a utility vehicle as a "gun bus".

And - as we all know - a normal, soft-top (with canvas "tilt"), LWB pick-up Defender, would be very uncomfortable, particularly for transporting the "older" gentleman . . . and, possibly even dangerous when they are carrying particularly long "bang-sticks".

[/PEDANT]
I do hope the Grenadiers have a tow rope and have done similar training to the Navy field gun race.

Why? It would take my propshaft man about an hour to make a longer one....

Bit of trivia (ie useless bollox)
The 130 is actually a 127 inch wheelbase, reason being is that gives it the longest possible 1 piece propshaft that works on the gearbox and final drive angles on a Defender.

According to Land Rover anyway.

Another bit of uselss trivia, the 90 was always a 93 inch wheelbase. The 110 was actually 110 inches though

Yes I know, I'll collect my anorak on the way out

Truxx

LE
Bit of trivia (ie useless bollox)
The 130 is actually a 127 inch wheelbase, reason being is that gives it the longest possible 1 piece propshaft that works on the gearbox and final drive angles on a Defender.

According to Land Rover anyway.

Another bit of uselss trivia, the 90 was always a 93 inch wheelbase. The 110 was actually 110 inches though

Yes I know, I'll collect my anorak on the way out
Well if Landrover said that then it must be true..

Like the time when we were beating landrover up over the diesel engines fitted to the newly arriving Defenders.

"Ah but it must be you doing something wrong because the streets of London are filled with taxis using the same engine"

Cue my Master Driver approaching whoever the taxi trade body was

"Landrover diesels?" They said "bag of sh1t and most taxis fitted with them have now been retrofitted with isuzus"

The thing about Landys is, for all their faults, they are a solid piece of kit when it matters. We would have been buggered in most other cars.

Not really - there's very little strength in the upper bodywork. That's why a lot of industrial users and Mountain Rescue fit full roll cages.

I do hope the Grenadiers have a tow rope and have done similar training to the Navy field gun race.
Didn't the tradition of sailors pulling the gun carriage in a State funeral cortege stem from an occasion when the horses tasked with the job were slipping in the snow and the matelots who were route-lining grabbed the traces to help them along? Same energy here when the Duke's Landy needs a bump start.

Edited to add: It was Queen Victoria's funeral - Memorials and Monuments in Portsmouth - Field Gun Carriage

WALT

LE
A week later I coughed and my rib which had been battered in the accident gave way. That hurt more than the accident did at the time.

I feel your pain. Last year I fell onto a front loader (not very forgiving) and broke a couple of ribs. Hurt a bit, but, meh, drove myself to hospital to get x-rayed.
Two days later I sneezed and I felt something go pop. I have never before or since felt such pain. I dropped to the floor screaming like a baby. Every breath felt like a stabbing. An ambulance was called to haul me back to hospital. "Oh yeah, that often happens with broken ribs."
"Oh, and now you tell me. Thanks a bundle..."

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Not really - there's very little strength in the upper bodywork. That's why a lot of industrial users and Mountain Rescue fit full roll cages.
Yes they do, mainly for insurance stipulations - the 'A' pillar is designed to take an impact of the GVW from 2 metres without significantly compromising the passenger compartment though. The rest of the body, not so much, they are incredibly flimsy with the roof removed but there is an inherent stability when fully built - the chassis protects against hard side impacts and the roof transfers and dissipates energy from the side panels. I'd much rather be in a more modern LR in an impact, survival stories from Defender owners are legendary though, much more so than other 4WD's, even the G-Wagen is more easily damaged despite appearances and similar build methods.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Keep an eye on your trickle charger
IMG-20210422-WA0012.jpg

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Everything about that suggests sales staff connected a high output charger to a low current connection.
I can't honestly think of anywhere that has trusted sales staff with anything more than a cheap biro, let alone connect a charger!

Truxx

LE
Everything about that suggests sales staff connected a high output charger to a low current connection.
I can't honestly think of anywhere that has trusted sales staff with anything more than a cheap biro, let alone connect a charger!
The fact that it needed a charger in the first place says a lot about LR quality control. Probably the best end to it.

The fact that it needed a charger in the first place says a lot about LR quality control. Probably the best end to it.
I live near the dealer concerned. All the cars there have their sidelights on all the time during opening hours. That's why the charger will have been fitted.

TamH70

MIA
I live near the dealer concerned. All the cars there have their sidelights on all the time during opening hours. That's why the charger will have been fitted.

Wait. What.

That's highly stupid. Or at least that's what my old Regiment's MTWO would have told me, and he'd been doing that job since the wheel was invented.

I think I saw a New Defender on the road the other day. A vehicle that didn't look familiar, unusual square back lights. It was making progress under it's own power.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Wait. What.

That's highly stupid. Or at least that's what my old Regiment's MTWO would have told me, and he'd been doing that job since the wheel was invented.
There is a 'showroom mode' for demo vehicles where the lights and infotainment systems work without the keys being in the vehicle, the one that was on fire appeared to be in the handover bay and had a BFO charger connected (showroom chargers are smaller and generally limited to ~6A or so), i'm guessing because it was either an ex-demo and the battery had been depleted due to lots of short journeys meaning the autostop was inhibited, or it had been in storage for a while. The position of the charger at the rear and the cables running into the back of the vehicle suggest they were shoving lots of Amps somewhere lots of Amps shouldn't go....

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer

RTU'd

War Hero
Saw a neighbours new Defender 110 yesterday on the best place for the ugly thing, a low loader.
Seems the engine management system has it on limp home mode, again.

I think I saw a New Defender on the road the other day. A vehicle that didn't look familiar, unusual square back lights. It was making progress under it's own power.
And huge !! For those of us familiar with the proportions of green Land-Rovers, the new version is HUGE !!

Last edited: