Land Rover horror stories

I've got rid of the lockers on mine, never had any problem in the 14 years I've had it - maybe everyone assumes it's got lockers on it?
think its more the case most every one has alloys now, the price isnt excessive and as such theres little value in robbing a beat up pair off an old landy

jmb3296

War Hero
Remove back of front passenger seat (two bolts) or tilt right forward.

Stretcher will then sit at an angle over the mid bulkhead and you get about six and a half feet length in if I remember rightly. It can be done.
No doubt

but not by a bunch of handless polis at waters edge with the tide coming in, get him in the back, hold the rear door pulled over and get back up the beach to hard standing and a more appropriate vehicle

didn’t think about tilting the front passenger seat forward, or try to do it to be honest

It’s all driveable and still in daily use but these things are starting to bug me:

There is a weird steering issue. I know these things don’t exactly have precision handling but it’s starting to wander all over the place. I’ve checked the steering box and taken a shim out of the swivel pins but it’s still happening. It had a new steering relay not too long ago. Seems to be slowly getting worse.

Possibly related to above, I get a single loud clunk noise sometimes when I turn the steering wheel. Again can’t seem to see anything obvious that looks loose or dodgy.
Odds on its a Steering arm / drop arm whatever its called one of the end bolts will be a bit slack - - it will look visually ok but get a spanner on it - one of the buggers will turn.

The accelerator cable snapped a few years back and is currently held together with some random bolts and washers that I found under the seat. Could do with a proper new one.

The lights are all over the place. I seem to blow bulbs every time I get in the thing. Some of the light fittings don’t work at all I’ve changed the bulbs and the whole fitting but still nowt. One headlight is very dim.
Duff earth possibly or a corroded connector - give terminals and connecters a good rub

Handbrake is currently fitted for but not with, after the missus went for a nice long drive with it on.

Thats fucked - although if its anything like my series was the gearbox oil seeping in mitigated damage caused by driving with handbrake part engaged.

The wings are on the piss and could do with straightening up.

Ha Ha Ha , No really Ha Ha ha -

Do you have inner wings - lots of older ones have "lost" them - does nothing to help the lights vibrating and scanning the road rather than aiming down it.

It’s just developed a leak from the water pump. Needs a new gasket.

Could do with a major service. It’s been about 5 years since belts were done etc.

Speedo needs calibrating due to me running Range Rover diffs and bigger wheels.

Honestly do that with garmin note it down (My series on 235 /85s rather than 600s was about right )

NB assuming it doesnt wander

The ignition overruns for a second or two when you turn it off.
Starter motor is a bit worn - the fix is a new starter motor, you may find the garage says dont bother until it breaks

It has the wrong suspension fitted. 109 parabolic springs instead of 88s. Either needs new springs or a leaf taken out of the back.

Thats often done as a Mod for X country - check to see if it hasnt got 109 hangers on it as well at the rear - its fairly common - supposed to lift the arse a bit

The steering, lights and service are the priority really.

Other than that it’s basically perfect.

I forgot to add it spews out black smoke when you start it up.

Check location of wife before starting especially if shes in light coloured clothing - Gearbox whine has nothing on SWMBO makes a VC10 / BAC 111 positively sonoros in comparison.

Thats a generational thing. Back in the day the manual would tell you how to change and set the points. These days it advises users not to drink the contents of the battery.

You must remember these? Came with most vehicle tool kits, screwdriver with 0.015 feeler gauge. I used to keep one on my keyring.

1618257842291.png

Odds on its a Steering arm / drop arm whatever its called one of the end bolts will be a bit slack - - it will look visually ok but get a spanner on it - one of the buggers will turn.

Duff earth possibly or a corroded connector - give terminals and connecters a good rub

Thats fucked - although if its anything like my series was the gearbox oil seeping in mitigated damage caused by driving with handbrake part engaged.

Ha Ha Ha , No really Ha Ha ha -

Do you have inner wings - lots of older ones have "lost" them - does nothing to help the lights vibrating and scanning the road rather than aiming down it.

Honestly do that with garmin note it down (My series on 235 /85s rather than 600s was about right )

NB assuming it doesnt wander

Starter motor is a bit worn - the fix is a new starter motor, you may find the garage says dont bother until it breaks

Thats often done as a Mod for X country - check to see if it hasnt got 109 hangers on it as well at the rear - its fairly common - supposed to lift the arse a bit

Check location of wife before starting especially if shes in light coloured clothing - Gearbox whine has nothing on SWMBO makes a VC10 / BAC 111 positively sonoros in comparison.

On a Series I'd lay odds that it has a Shitpart Chinese steering relay on it. Throw it away and put a proper one on.

Handbrake is the easiest fix in the world, just requires adjusting, google will tell you how.

Aftermarket parrotsbollox sprins are over rated crap. Bung decent British made oem spec ones on

Speedos re available in various different ratio's to accomadate different driveline set ups.

Black smoke will probably disappear after fixing the cooler pipe leak, if not its been tinkered with and is over fuelling.

95% of old Land Rover faults can be fixed by throwing away aftermarket shit and putting decent quality OEM spec parts

Last edited:

neil82

Old-Salt
On a Series I'd lay odds that it has a Shitpart Chinese steering relay on it. Throw it away and put a proper one on.

Handbrake is the easiest fix in the world, just requires adjusting, google will tell you how.

Aftermarket parrotsbollox sprins are over rated crap. Bung decent British made oem spec ones on

Speedos re available in various different ratio's to accomadate different driveline set ups.

Black smoke will probably disappear after fixing the cooler pipe leak, if not its been tinkered with and is over fuelling.

95% of old Land Rover faults can be fixed by throwing away aftermarket shit and putting decent quality OEM spec parts
I used to make gearbox parts for the pieces of shit, land rover`s idea about any sort of quality control makes chinese engineering look like rocket science

SWB series 1, steering box was so knackered it was like steering a tanker, Gearbox was so knackered it jumped out every 30 seconds, chassis vibration was so bad the driver door use to pop open every 30 seconds, Passenger door was tied closed with cam string (Nobody in their right mind would travel in this death trap) seatbelt clip use to give up after 30 seconds..... etc...etc.......... at least I didn't get bored doing nothing convoy driving.

You would think the REME LAD would drive their own half-arssed VOR outstanding work on exercise themselves. But.... a deployable asset,

Last edited:
Bloody hell listen to you lot with your intenet diagnosis.....!

Hang on a minute there, don't even think about suggesting we all stop coming on here to talk shite.
We'd all end up out on the street shouting at pigeons if we weren't on Arrse pontificating about something.

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Bloody hell listen to you lot with your intenet diagnosis.....!

Unlike many of the "experts" on other threads, those of us on this one have many years experience of the subject matter.

Unlike many of the "experts" on other threads, those of us on this one have many years experience of the subject matter.

You wouldn't be suggesting that every single Land Rover owner has many years experience of bodging their Land Rover back together on the roadside would you?

Thats an outrageous slur on the quality of a British motoring icon.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You wouldn't be suggesting that every single Land Rover owner has many years experience of bodging their Land Rover back together on the roadside would you?

Thats an outrageous slur on the quality of a British motoring icon.

Indeed, such skills were learnt on Land Rovers not owned by the driver as such but signed for. :)

Had a vehicle recovered in a few weeks ago, wouldn't start after topping up the oil.... filled to the brim, as in to the top of the filler neck, they were suprised that it took 12 litres as it had only been serviced three months ago...

No problem with 'modern' cars. There's an eletronic dipstick that requires you to run the car for 20mins up to temp, then it can tell you there's none in it. Oh and if it fails that will cost £1,500 to fix, true!

Wife wants a Landover/rangie as we have a series one rangerover which she loves but I'm currently de rusting it. Any recommendations for a modern version. Disco sport,ewok,disco 3/4 or an older rangie.
Her budget is around twenty grand.
Fill yer boots.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Wife wants a Landover/rangie as we have a series one rangerover which she loves but I'm currently de rusting it. Any recommendations for a modern version. Disco sport,ewok,disco 3/4 or an older rangie.
Fill yer boots.
20K will get you a late Disco4, or an early L494 Range Rover Sport - price will of course be dependent upon spec, age & mileage.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
No problem with 'modern' cars. There's an eletronic dipstick that requires you to run the car for 20mins up to temp, then it can tell you there's none in it. Oh and if it fails that will cost £1,500 to fix, true!
It's a situation I'm familiar with.... although we charge a bit more than £1.5k!

It's a situation I'm familiar with.... although we charge a bit more than £1.5k!

Serious question ... Can one fit a 'normal' dipstick and bin the superfluous, technology for technology sake, expensive, ridiculous, potentially dangerous eletronic dipstck? Obviously it will differ from brand to brand. Asking for a friend. ...

Serious question ... Can one fit a 'normal' dipstick and bin the superfluous, technology for technology sake, expensive, ridiculous, potentially dangerous eletronic dipstck? Obviously it will differ from brand to brand. Asking for a friend. ...
Wouldnt be easy as you`d probably have to drill the block and fit one , then youd have to re program the ECU so it believed all was good.

Truxx

LE
Fill yer boots.
I have a pair (I think there are both sides - it's a while since I last saw them) of rear quarters/ wings for a 2 door S1 if you want them.